Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Shortening A Magazine And Stock

bja105

I have a 1903 pre-inlet stock I just received, a long Birdseye maple. I have a 20" barreled 1903a3 that I want to use it on, as a full length stock. To slim it down a bit, can I plane a bit off the top of the stock, inlet it deeper, then take the same amount off of the magazine tops, pillars, and trigger? I wouldn't cry over loosing one round from the magazine? Will this work? What am I overlooking that will bite me?

Also, does anyone suggest a stain or finish that will look good on Birdseye Maple? I'm worried that the stock will be too plain.

This is the planning phase, its too cold in the garage to work now.

you gotta watch the trigger. if you're using the issue trigger, you might be alright just shortening it, but an aftermarket, well, you have the trigger body to deal with.

I've seen some very graceful, compact rifles based-on stock M98s and 1903s.

I've seen some commercial compact, lightweight rifles that looked more like clubs than gazelles.

"Slimming" is also about transitions between stock sections and proportions, thinning the wrist, thinning the stock, and reducing the buttstock bulk.

My opinion is that "squashing" the action won't improve the looks in any way.

just about anything can be done...

Well the one fellow was using the term 'Fugly'. I guess beauty or fuglyness is in the eye of the beholder.

Of course I did like the Schnabel.

The issue that I'd have with that would be that it would seem damn awkward to hold. I've reshaped a number of grips so far to suit my hand position. I just don't think that would feel comfortable at all in hand.

I kind of liked the forearm with the Schnabel. If one were looking to loose wood weight you could do that to the front then to the butt, there was someone a few years back that cut a window out of the butt-stock. that was interesting.

You could have minimal wood weight and still have a 'normal' grip.

Hmmmmm! Didn't I do one of those butt-stocks with the window in it??? I guess that I need to go look for that thing.

Tinker

i've shorted a few magazines but nowhere near as much as the rifle in that linkbut i think a m93 7x57 similar to that rifle would be neat.

the last one i did i basically wedged the magazine. i kept the rear stock ferrul the same lenth and shortened the front pillar about 1/4" then cut the magwell to fit.

at one time you could get aftermarket triggers that were 1/2" shorter for building these types of rifles but i don't think they are available in the us anymore

I've cut them down but not to that extreme, though I heard that rifle of Ken's is a dream to shoot. The one I did on my 270 truck gun was mostly changing the angle of the box so there was no need to shorten the trigger much but thinning the forarm considerably.

Don