Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Can Anything Fun Be Done With A Mosin Nagant

rdm1962

There is a big gun show coming up in a few weeks. I already have a all matching, not counterbored M38 that is too nice to molest. I all way see some misguided sole dragging around a 91/30 or M44 looking to sell. The dealers want to steal it and the seller paid to much to give it away. I thought that maybe I could get one at a fair price then it could be a project. Anyone have a suggestion on re-barreling and or cartridge change that could be done?

Ralph

i've got a few of them in the works, a couple heavy barrel projects and a couple of big bore projets.

i've also rebarreled one to 220 swift.

i'm planning on doing another in 22-250 but the donor rifle i ordered showed up as a near mint matching hex 91/30 so i didn't whack it in the head and gut it out like i planned.

Anyone have a suggestion on re-barreling and or cartridge change that could be done?

Ralph

Pulling an idea off of the way back burner, I seem to recall that I looked into re-chambering to 308(.311)Norma Magnum. You might take a look at that and see if that could work for you.

I'm sketchy on remembering this in detail, but I think that the over all length was close and that the magazine would only take minor mods.

Hope you find something interesting to do with your MN, the Mausers are drying up.

Tinker

I have converted to 45/70 and I have converted to 30-30.

Someone is offering to rent me the chamber and form dies to do 6.5x54R,post-40-130010887369_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Went looking for a Mosin and came home with a FN Mauser. I took a Enfield #4 MK1 that I unbubbaed earlier this year and some cash. I didn't see any Mosins that were right for my plans. One of the dealers was interested in my Enfield so we traded even. I got a all matching FN 98 in 30-06. It was made for Luxembourg in 1951. The bore is good, as is the overall condition. I will have to get it the range and see how it shoots. This would make a good candidate to turn in to a

"old school" 1950's style sporter. I will update you after some range time.

Ralph

Went looking for a Mosin and came home with a FN Mauser.

As far as I am concerned, that's the most fun thing you can do with a Mosin Nagant; trade it in on a Mauser. ;)

I really need to get this FN to the range and see how it shoots. I took it out of the stock and there is still cosmoline on it under the wood. The more I think about it the more I want to do a 1950's style sporter. I don't know if I will use this one or get a k98. I have two others that I need to be worked on a little more before I start something else.

Ralph