Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Prayers Needed

Brenden

Gentlemen, I come to you tonight for some help. My father has been in and out of the hospital for around two months now, and is not doing well at all. He was diagnosed with MRSA right off the bat, and then his kidney’s shut down, and is now on dialysis. To top it all off, he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, and his refraction rate is around 20% now. He had two heart attacks 10 years ago, and had been doing well until this.

Along with being in the hospital, he has won what the doctors described as the “pneumonia of the year award”. The CT scan revealed that both lungs are heavily coated with pneumonia with his right lung being basically engulfed with it. The top lobe in the right lung is full of bacteria. They said the left lung doesn’t look much better. Antibiotics aren’t fighting the bacteria as well as the doctors feel they should; may be some underlying infection/problems to deal with as well. It doesn’t look good for him at all at this point; too much to deal with and this has gone on for too long. He is very weak, and has gone from 210 lbs. down to about 170 lbs. His age is somewhat against him too, being 65 years young, he won’t bounce back as well as a 20 something as we all know.

I debated on posting this; sometimes asking for prayer is frowned upon. Most of you guys and gals around here don’t seem to mind though. So if everyone could, please pray for my dad Marvin. He has always been a great man and well-liked by those he has come in contact with. He also sat down with a local church member the other night and discussed giving his life to the Lord and being baptized. I want him to be able to do so, as he was very excited to take that step. My father never discussed these things, so this is big for those in our family.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and prayers; I will try to get back on every now and then and keep an update for those interested.

Thanks again,

Brenden Osborne

Brenden

First off my prayers are for your dads speedy recovery.

I usually loath to give out anything that resembles medical advice.

Since you are a member of the family, so to speak, I'm making an exception.

I am NOT A DOCTOR. As a BMET I have picked up a few things and formed some opinions.

At this moment the greatest worry I think is the pneumonia. A 20% Ejection Fraction

without exertion or other stresses like pneumonia might be adequate to get by on if

your dad were living the retired life style. Unfortunately this is a time of stress.

There is a device called an Intra Aortic Balloon Pump that is all too often under utilized

or applied too late. This is something for the hospitalized & confined to bed patient.

It will take some of the stress off of the heart while at the same time improve circulation.

It can be used from days to weeks to help at the time of greatest need. This device is

best used proactively. Unfortunately too many doctors view it as a last ditch effort to

put a patient on.

My suggestion would be to speak with the doctor about it. If the doctor says anything

that sounds like 'well if it comes to that', tell him that you'd prefer that it be used

sooner than later before 'it comes to that'.

Perhaps they'll say that it isn't appropriate and suggest something else. I's just that

with a 20% EF it would seem that some sort of cardiac support may be called for.

His blood pressures and cardiac output may not indicate a need for support. If they do

it's my preference to take it sooner than later. Don't freak out that 'they have him

hooked up to everything'. It's all temporary. The point is to do everything that can be

done to get him out of the hospital vertical rather than horizontal.

Craig

Just wanted to thank everyone for their support and prayers. Dad came home Monday afternoon and seems to be doing ok. They feel they have the pneumonia under control, so hopefully this will be the last hospital visit for a while. What bugs me is that they didn't keep him on home antibiotics like they said they would. I hope this doesn’t turn in to a re-peat like the last few times; get him home pneumonia flares back up. It has been a vicious cycle for him. Thank you all again and please remember to keep him in your prayers.

Brenden