Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Fun With A Mosin Nagant

Very nice!

I have always like the full length stock look.

Did you carve that on yourself or pick it up somewhere?

Interested to hear how it shoots.

Thank you for the kind words.

The stock is (2) 3/4 pieces of mahogony, kiln dried boards, glued up, from a local home store. It's just thick enough! I traced the old Mosin stock on a piece of cardboard. On top of this I traced my model 70 stock in a different color and blended the two. I transfered this to the wood. I had a local woodshop cut out the shape on their band saw. Then you start inletting. You can cheat a little with a drill press and a few carboard templates at first. It's amazing to watch the inletting take shape as you remove a splinter at a time. The recoil pad is cut from a flip flop. The spacer is a piece of 1/4 " sub-floor, the cheek pad is a piece of leather from a local furniture store. I finished the stock with dark walnut, sanded this to exposed raw wood. That's what gives it the grainy look. I restained the whole thing with a color called "gunstock" and put 7 coats of boiled linseed oil on it. I will let you know how it shoots.

KC

Thank you for the kind words.

The stock is (2) 3/4 pieces of mahogony, kiln dried boards, glued up..

KC

Thanks for posting that.

I have 14 MNs and 9 of those are in states of modification.

With 4 of the Tennessee Guns bull barrels, we may make some stock from scratch. You are an inspiration.

post-40-130362221872_thumb.jpg

Nice looking scope mount. I've played with a few different styles myself but they all put the scope too high for my taste. If you decide to make a stock like the one I made, match the boards to each other the best you possibly can. If you do a good job gluing them up to thickness the average person would have trouble telling they were not one piece of solid wood. I used mahogony because it is dimensionally sound and 1/3 the cost of black walnut boards. Watch the you tube video of "filing flats to make it round".

Good Luck!

KC

• 2 weeks later...

What an awesome rifle! I have been working on an all weather Mannlicher Mosin for over a year. I have a butterknife bolt handle also, and had my entire rifle coated with electroless nickel. My stock is an ATI synthetic that I extended. I thought I would have had it back by now, but my friend has it at a different shop and I haven't received it yet. Here is a what I had of the stock...you'll get the picture on the rest later ( I HOPE!).

DSC_6312.jpg