Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Tiger Stripe Vz24 Stock

8uck5nort

I bought a SOG VZ24 Gunsmith special for 99 bucks a while ago. Got it out and started to clean it up. Didn't pay much attention to the stock as it was coated in a sticky brownish/black cosmo goo. All the metal on this thing is in great shape and the only problem was a few missing minor stock parts and a cracked handguard.

I threw the stock in my "To Be Sold in Parts Lot" pile and didn't pay much attention to it until I went down stairs to go get something and the sunlight was shining directly on the stock. I could make out some faint srips. Looking closer I realised the strips were very pronounced and the stock was in remarkably good structural shape.

Here is a pick of it after doing some cleaning of the gunk. The tiger striped look appears to go throughout the entire stock and it is really pretty neat.

post-5537-13042681918_thumb.jpg

post-5537-130426839081_thumb.jpg

post-5537-13042683986_thumb.jpg

post-5537-130426882897_thumb.jpg

Question I am pondering is what to do with it. I am toying with the idea of retoring this one as a military stock and just getting a new handguard and the other metal work. But on the other hand it would make a beautiful sporter as well. Maybe even sell it. I don't know.

One challenge is getting the the remining metal off the stock. Recoli lug, metal disk, and handle stock bolt/swivel. Does anyone have the wrench/tool to remove this stuff properly or know where I can pick one up? Any pointers on how to do it without screwing up the wood around them?

Input appreciated.

Darin

I'd make sure that it is tiger striped. I'm not saying it isn't, I'd just verify.

I seem to remember a trick or two about wrapping the wood with cord or rope and... it was either burning or chemically treating the rope. Looking at the stock, it looks like it could have been wound with cord/rope.

I'd make sure that it is tiger striped. I'm not saying it isn't, I'd just verify.

I seem to remember a trick or two about wrapping the wood with cord or rope and... it was either burning or chemically treating the rope. Looking at the stock, it looks like it could have been wound with cord/rope.

I guess the only way to do that would be to rasp into the stock to see if the stripping is sub-surface. The more I am thinking of it the more I would like to conver this to a sporter stock which will mean thinning the buttstock significantly. I will know for certain then. Anyone see a reason why I should not sporterize the stock out?

If the stock is in "great structural shape" and actually has the tiger stripe pattern, it might be of interest for someone who likes mil-spec rifles.

You could raise the dents and get the oil out of the stock... Would someone be willing to pay a "Jackson" or two for it? That would go well towards a second from Boyd's or Richards. Would save some time too.

All I can say is that if you like the stock, use it. You can dress them up a bit and make them pretty nice. It may not compare to a piece of myrtle, but they are nice cleaned up.

I just finished the stock on my 8mm-06. I cut down the military stock and rasped wood away to show some fairly nice grain patterns. Added a piece of ebony for affect as well; doesn’t look too bad to me. I like seeing military stocks re-worked.

Brenden

Well it's official. I am sporterizing this stock. I started by thinning the buttstock and grip area. The tiger striping is for real. I have a pachmeyr grind to fit recoil pad on order for it. Plan on keeping this one in 8mm. Maybe a short barrel 16 - 17 " full length stock carbine. Talk about grabbing the tiger by it's tail.

I have removed all the metal except the recoil lug and grip lug/sling catch.

I broke a pair of ring pliers trying to get them out and bent my hole punch trying to tap them loose.

The only thing I have left is maybe drill them out unless someone has some suggestions. Heck I'll even ship to someone if the think they can get them out without scoring the wood.

I plan on epoxying an exotic wood dowel where the grip lug Hole used to be to healp strengthen and will be. I am going to epoxy the recoil lug in place but get rid of the outward facing metal and replace with exotic wood dowel for a nicer custom look. I plan on really taking my time with this one because it has a lot of potential to be a really nice one of a kind stock.

I'm kinda having second thoughts on the short barrel myself. I have seen them around and they look like they would be an easy carry rifle, but how they would shoot would be my biggest concern. I would not shoot "hot" 8mm loads, but don't know with that short a barrel if that would make much of a difference.

I have a lot of time to think on this one so we'll see. Long way to go on this project.

I got to get those pesky lugs out of the stock first without screwing it up. I know Brownells makes a lug wrench for 25.00 bucks. Maybe just bite the bullet and order it.

I'm not sure what type of wood I'm dealing with here as well. Walnut maybe, but don't think so. It finsihes up with a golden hue on the light parts. I am wondering what will make a good contrast for the forearm cap and pistol grip. Bloodwood, Purpleheart or just stick with ebony, or go real light with maple?

a nice tiger stripe stock is one of the few things that will stop me from building a sporter but they can make also make very nice sporter stocks when done right.

i have a vz-24, a swede m96, a turk k-kale and a spanish 1916 with tiger stripe stocks, i also have an oberndorf gew98 with tiger stripes and mineral streaks that was cut down to a sporter style before i bought it that was probably one of the nicest military stock in existence before it was cut.