Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Nc Boar Hunt

8uck5nort

We did well. Our group of four shot five times and had four boars on the ground. The only one that had to shoot twice was the pistol hunter.

I took mine at 60 yards with my MN 91/30 using a Speer 180gr rn loaded with 43gr of IMR4895. Perfect quartering away shot. Pretty much a bang, flop.

My son used his a 1943 Lee enfield and hit in the neck/spin area at about 20 yards. He had a Sierra 150gr sp loaded with 41 gr of Varget. That boar didn't move an inch after the shot.

My nephew took his at about the same distance as my son with my BCD43 German mauser using a Nosler 200gr sp loaded with 43gr of IMR4895. The boar more or less took a step or two and then fell over.

The last boar was taken with a 44 mag pistol at about 30 yards. He was using some of my 44 mag loads. Hornady 240gr XTP loded with 11.5gr of Herco. We recoverd one of the 44 mag bullets. It expanded very nicely. It looked like a someone had started to peel a banana.

We had a lot of fun running up and down the mountain. We did have a couple of guides and used bay dogs to find the boars. First time I have ever hunted with guids or dogs. Glad we did cause these things get into the thickest stuff and disappear. Would have been a different story without them.

This was typical of the terrain.

post-5537-130624283058_thumb.jpg

My son with his boar and Enfield.

post-5537-130624283538_thumb.jpg

Our haul.

post-5537-13062428225_thumb.jpg

Looks like a lot of fun. Where in NC is this?

About 11 miles east of Taylorsville. We had a great time and hope to go back next spring.

Ooops I mean west of Taylorsville. Chestnut hunting Lodge.

Thanks for sharing that. I enjoy seeing/reading post like this. Glad you all got to have a great time and put meat in the freezer as well.

Brenden