Military Firearm Restoration Corner
Sign in to follow this  
AzRednek

Remington 740 Ejector

As the old saying goes, "if its to good to be true etc". Got a smoking deal on a Remington Model 740. It is a 30/06 semi. I suffered through the heat, went to the range yesterday only to discover the Remmy has a broken ejector. I checked Numrich only to discover there are two different types of ejectors. Naturally Murphy's Law applies as the bar type ejector I have is sold out. I checked several websites with no luck. The part is either not listed or marked N/A, sold out etc.

There used to be a gunsmith here in town that would make small parts but he is long gone. Had him make me an extractor I couldn't locate for an older Sears High Standard 22 auto. He only charged me $35.00 and it has worked perfectly for hundreds of rounds for apx 5 years now. The only gunsmiths I'm aware of here in Phoenix are strictly parts re-placers. One gunshop simply ships guns out of state for repair if it isn't an easy in and out parts replacement.

A good example of my experience. I recently took a S&W revolver to what was advertised as a "S&W expert". My S&W has a problem with the cylinder binding and locking up in double action mode. The gunsmith told me the timing was perfect and a simple detail strip and cleaning for $45.00 would fix it. After I agreed the job the gunsmith launched a high pressure sales pitch for a "beautiful modern re-finishing" for $150.00. Got the S&W back, still binds up, just not as often. When I picked it up I had to deal with the same high pressure sales pitch for the re-finishing.

I have been able to get some obsolete Remington parts from these people:

W.G.P. Ltd.

18124 - 107 Ave

Edmonton, Alberta T5S 1K5

Canada

Their phone number is 780-489-5711. They have been very prompt and courteous working with me on parts for obsolete shotguns.

Clemson

Thanks for the leads guys and sorry for the delay in responding. Wife was under the weather again and i didn't get much time on the net. Friend of mine located and ordered the part for me. He followed a lead from Remington's website for parts for obsolete models. It is coming from Jack First Inc. Kind of pricey, $31.95 with 8.95 of it being shipping and my favorite handling. Kind of expensive but worth it. The alternative was to sell the rifle for parts or cheat somebody like the guy did to me. I prefer sleeping nights and hopefully the Remmy will keep working for another 50 years.

Is this valid?

http://www.gunpartsales.com/ItemDetails/776522936/Remington_740_742_Ejector.htm

Wisner's has some info, although under "parts" both types are listed as discontinued:

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/Remington_7407427400.htm

Is it just a metal bar that pivots? Can you just re-sharpen an edge, or weld-build it up?

It is the bar type that pivots. Apx an inch was broken off. I may have to take a stone and work on the tip of the replacment ejector. I'll try it as is but best I can tell I'm going to have to get a slight angle on the tip.