Military Firearm Restoration Corner

carry guns

TLynn

claytonfaulkner

(6/20/05 0:52)

Reply carry guns

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

whats everybody like for a carry gun? i personally like glocks, light, accurate, comes in all sizes and is offered in 10mm. i really want to hear about the new springfield XD. i have never shot one but have herd good things about them.

jkh004

(6/20/05 7:06)

Re: carry guns

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Taurus PT140. I love it-small and light. It is similiar to Glocks (DAO) -no hammer, but has a safety if you want to use it. My brother has Glocks-but only because they are his issue weapon and he qualifies with them- he really likes them. Haven't heard about the Springfields except the sales pitch-which sounded pretty good- all of the Glock qualities but with a grip safety to prevent discharges when drawing. 10mm needs a larger frame than a .40. Are you sure you want for a carry gun?

How many guns do you need? ..... Just one

MOE......

Sailormilan2

(6/20/05 7:48)

Reply Re: carry guns

I carry a Glock, as that is what was issued to me. I use a Glock 22, 40 cal. Glow in the dark night sites, snake eyes.

Things I like about the Glock, light weight. Things I don't like about the Glock, handle/grip does feel right to my Colt trained hand.

Now, having said that, I retire in a couple of weeks, and I will be buying the pistol. Why? Because I can.

However, the most comfortable pistol I have held? Browning P-35 HP.

I have always wondered about how long a Glock in 40 cal will last. I have seen their ads about how many thousands of rounds a 9mm Glock will go. But, I don't recall seeing too much bragging being done on how many thousands a 45 acp Glock will do. Since a 40 is more potent than a 9mm.............well.

Plus, the only Glocks I have heard about blowing up, are the 45 acp Glocks.

When we received our training in the Glocks, we were told not to fire reloads, especially lead reloads in them. Their chambers and rifling are not designed for lead bullets. Shooting lead bullets in them can lead to problems. But, I have talked to fellow deputies who have fired lead bullet reloads with no trouble, one must just thoroughly clean them when done.

Just remember, the Glock ( and the S&W copy, and other clone/copies) are really on 15 shot revolvers. DA only, no safety.

carzngunz

(6/20/05 16:54)

I've got a Kimber Ultra Carry, 3" 45acp. I've had it for several years and I love it. I also have a Kel-Tec 32. Although it would never be my first choice it is easy to just stick it in your pocket if you don't want to wear a holster.

horsefly

(6/20/05 19:49)

Reply Re:carry guns

I tote a PA63 in 9x18 Makarov.It's small enough to go in my jeans pocket,very thin,and the most accurate handgun I own.I gave $120.00 for it,but I think they're all gone now.I haven't seen any for sale in Shotgun News or at the gunshows.The little CZ 50's sure look like got hideout guns,and are in 9x18 Mak too.Jerry

Eldora

(6/21/05 19:26)

Reply Pocket Pistol

Ya'll might make fun of mine! I carry a North American Arms .22 mag in a paddle holster. It's not the best choice probably but it is small enough to carry ALL the time in my right front pants pocket. Been considering a Kel-Tec .380 but I don't like the idea of having to work the slide since it doesn't have a safety. I have a S&W Mod. 60 but it's too noticeable to have on me. Normally, I carry a Taurus .22 LR around the farm for snakes and such.

carzngunz

(6/21/05 20:00)

Reply Re: Pocket Pistol

Eldora,

The Kel-Tec has a hammer block that isn't disengaged until the trigger is pulled. Also the hammer isn't fully retracted until the trigger is pulled. It's a pretty safe design. I also like the fact that it weighs 7oz unloaded.

Reverend Recoil

(6/23/05 1:23)

Reply Re: Pocket Pistol

As a civilian contractor in Iraq I am not allowed to carry a firearm so I carry a Louisiana shiv with a 10 1/2 inch blade. The Iraqi's stay away from me. For some unknown reason they fear being slashed to death more than they fear being shot. That works for me.

Reverend Recoil

Eldora

(6/24/05 13:57)

Reply Pocket pistols

Carzngunz, Thanks. I will look more closely at the Kel-Tec. That's what I was told by someone who was obviously uninformed. The .380 would pack a little more punch!

manureman

(6/24/05 21:05)

Reply Re: Pocket pistols

I think you'll like the little Kel-tec.380,I'm pretty proud of mine.I'm no pistol shot to speak of but was impressed at how well it really shot.Jim

AzRednek

(6/24/05 23:13)

I have a carry permit and carry a Taurus Titanium 38 spec in my pocket. If I'm walking my Rottie when it is cool enough to have a jacket or coat I will usually carry a 45 auto and genuine USPS dog spray. For a car gun it varies, the risk of having it stolen when the car is parked is a consideration and I don't want to risk of losing allot of dollars or one of my favorites. Recently I have been carrying a beater Taurus 357 I got cheap from J&G that was formerly owned by a now defunct security guard company. If I travel out of state I carry an older paperless handgun, usually a 1917 45 caliber S&W revolver.

I've been carrying since 1975 after being severely beaten by three punk teenagers. I got a brain and neck injury from a blow to the head from a pipe or club. The brain injury took almost five years to completely heal. Even after the ordeal I would only use a gun as a last resort. I've walked away from a few verbal confrontations knowing I had the advantage. I would rather be called a coward than face a widow, fatherless family or deal with the legal consequences and attorney fees.

TYRVR

X

(6/25/05 6:25)

.... carrying the old Colts Commander in .45 Cal. never saw any reason to swap for any of the newer shooters,although .........the S&W 945 tempted me for awhile.

911RAT

(6/25/05 9:42)

A Walther PPK and a Smith Airweight Centenial. Though I've been taking a good look at the Taurus PT145.

grumpy64

(6/26/05 16:05)

I like my Tarus PT111 for concealed carry. But I also carry my 38 snub nose.

user posted image

user posted image

SB48

(7/2/05 7:10)

I guess I'm different from most here. I either carry my 629-4 Mountain Gun or my 617 K22? Most here sound more like they carry in the city, I'm more rural. I've owned handguns for over 35 years now and don't trust the Taurus's or most foriegn makes of protection guns. I want and need something that works first time and every time. My $.02.

Edited by: SB48 at: 7/2/05 7:12

carzngunz

(7/2/05 20:30)

SB48,

I was told this by a fellow shooter several years ago and it has stuck with me since:

" More than likely the only time you will need a handgun is when your life is in danger. At that time, do you really want to be reaching for the cheapest handgun you could find?"

My Kimber has always gone BANG!

• 1 month later...
I was told this by a fellow shooter several years ago and it has stuck with me since:

" More than likely the only time you will need a handgun is when your life is in danger. At that time, do you really want to be reaching for the cheapest handgun you could find?"

My Kimber has always gone BANG!

Very good advice and I will strive to remember it. I carry a Makarov mostly because I have found it to reasonably easy to hide, powerful enough, very accurate, and reliable. I like my Springfield Compact but I have to wear suspenders with it or my pants droop too much.

Take care,

Jim

I don't carry a gun yet, but that's because I reside in CA where it's next to impossible to get a CCW permit. All that will change for me when I relocate to NM next year...so I will be able to consider which carry gun I will use.

It's a toss up right now, between my Beretta .380 semi-auto and my S&W .38 Special snubby...though, I am leaning more toward the S&W. More powerful cartridge, but fewer shots....

However, if I decide to advance to a 9mm, .40 caliber or even a .45, that will throw another set of considerations into the works...I still don't know. I guess I should be glad that I have some time to think it over!

Whichever I decide on, I want to make sure it's comfortable for me to carry -- not being "too much gun" -- as I don't want that old saying to apply that the ".22 in your pocket is better than the .45 in your car". I know that .22s can do some damage, but I don't think I want to chance it in a stress situation!

I don't carry a gun yet, but that's because I reside in CA where it's next to impossible to get a CCW permit.  All that will change for me when I relocate to NM next year...so I will be able to consider which carry gun I will use. 

It's a toss up right now, between my Beretta .380 semi-auto and my S&W .38 Special snubby...though, I am leaning more toward the S&W.  More powerful cartridge, but fewer shots....

Which one is more accurate for you when you shoot it in a hurry?

Jim

I've been carrying a Glock 21 for around 13 years now. I carry it in a belly band most of the time, but sometimes in a polymer Glock sport holster. I need to get a new set of nite-sites as my first set of Meprolite sights are getting dim now. I carry with an after-market trigger blocking safety installed. I love it because it is low maintance and has never rusted despite many drenchings in the creek and gallons of sweat.

I have fired over 13,000 lead bullets through mine with no problems. When I cast I drop the bullets from the mold into a 5 gallon bucket of water and lube with Lee Liquid Alox. I have used several thousand Valiant brand cast bullets also.

I don't have a leading problem. I can pull most of the lead out with a rolled up 8 1/2''x11'' paper target which always amazes my shooting buddy. I've run 255 grain lead bullets up to 980 fps, but accuracy suffers and it did bulge the bases some. I've run 61 grain handloaded jacketed bullets to over 1900 fps, and Magsafe's 66 grain SWAT load to over 2100 fps. Neither of these were great on accuracy, but they'll turn a 3 liter bottle of water inside out.

Actually I believe the Glock 21 runs best with standard pressure ammunition at a velocity near 850 fps. I carry 230 grain HydraShok loads because it is great ammo and it is commonly available commercial ammunition. I practice with the Lee cast lead TL-252-230-TC bullet at 850 fps. The 200 grain Lee tumble lube bullet gives the best accuracy in the Glock 21 that I have seen. I use WWC military brass exclusively.

I have heard all the horror stories about Glock pistols and cast lead bullets. The 45 ACP runs at a considerably lower pressure than other calibers available in Glock pistols and I have never had a problem with either cast or jacketed bullets in my pistol. I use WIN231 exclusively now, but have tried several other powders in the past. None have proved as successful as 231 in my 21.......Mike

Ghost Dog --

Which one is more accurate for you when you shoot it in a hurry?

Good question!

I think that I am more accurate with my Beretta...and so far, it's been 100% reliable no matter the ammo I feed it, or the magazines I use in it. The snubby is as well (barring magazines, of course), but up close and personal, I think I would probably feel better using the Beretta.

Well, that made my decision easier! Thanks!

Guest Guest_Eldora_*

Here's something else to think about...use factory loaded ammo in your defense guns if at all possible. Think what an SOB defense lawyer would have to say in court about a person's handloads. He could easily portray you as a "renegade" or "nut" who "souped up" special ammo just to kill someone else. I know it shouldn't be that way but frequently things are taken out of context and an innocent person who may have needed to defend themselves could get the shaft. BTW, I'm carrying a North American Arms .22 mag. Gun show this weekend in Greensboro and I think I'm going to trade up to at least a .380 auto. Maybe a Kel-Tec.

I'll second Eldora's comments...for self defense ammo, ALWAYS use factory loaded stuff! I know that I do in my home defense weapons, and I will when I can carry!

Thanks for the reminder, Eldora!

Guest Guest_Eldora_*
biggrin.gif Got the Kel-Tec P3AT this weekend at the Greensboro, NC show. Chrome & gray. Also got a pocket holster to keep it in position and to help break up the outline. Shot a box through it Sunday afternoon and I think it's dandy! I can draw and hit with it faster than the NAA .22 mag. I've always been a little leery of autos for self-defense but this one seems to be dependable. Nary a hesitation whether slow or fast fire. I feel safer already! laugh.gif May talk the wife into getting her CC permit and get her one too. She can shoot it nearly as well as I can. With a little practice she could be a dangerous mark for a mugger. ph34r.gif