Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Fires Here

Sailormilan2

Yesterday morning about 3am we got hit with a bad dry electrical storm here in Kern County. Some where around 3000 lightning strikes and 40 fires. Then in the afternoon, another storm moved in, and now we have an additional 10 fires going. The county has declared a local state of emergency. A few roads are closed. I was going to take a ride on my ST1300 yesterday until I saw all the road closures. Almost every road I wanted to go on was closed, and the only way left open was south into the high mountains, or to the north west. I didn't want to go south, as that was where storms were coming from, and I didn't want to get caught in a big storm on back mountain roads with my bike.

I have doors and windows open, and I smell smoke. Been smelling it all day, but it is worse now. I live in the center of town. So I am not worried.

Worst lightning storm in 7 years. Not since that big one that struck the state sometime back thaut caused hundreds of fires. BradD lives up in one of the affected areas that maybe getting evacuated. I called him last night on his cell, but I got no answer. I am hoping he is just busy packing all his guns for quick get away.

One area has 3 fires could combine into one(BradD's area) and those 3 fires have already burned(as of last night) 4500 acres in one day. This should get interesting.

Hey Dale and all,

We're okay. The Keene Ranch burned about 3000 acres on Black Mountain (now very appropriately named) but stayed about two miles from Hart Flat.

Steve Cummings had about 10 acres go up in Caliente, but nothing but trash grass. The fire doesn't seem to do much damage to the Blue Oaks.

Fires all over Breakenridge Mtn and fire guys going in both directions (we deputies never could figure out how that worked) and all the way down to Commanche.

So, me and the Mrs smell like smoke, but that's all for now. More thunderstorms coming later, so we still have the cat's bags packed and the Vetterlis and Mausers standing at the back door.

John E and I went to Ventura yesterday to the gunshow and left the Mrs to fend for the place. Fellows have their priorities, you know. However we got home in time to have her make us dinner.

Dale some roads still closed, so you might as well hold off for a few days. Still awfully smokey.

Will try to get by tomorrow to compare Siamese and Yugos for the other thread.

Brad

Thanks, Karl.

Concrete shingles and the whole ten acres cleared.

32 homes went up in the Blackburn Canyon fire last week, so not taking any chances here.

Hope life is good down there and you get over the shock of not being in CA. For me, I'll never leave, even putting up with these jerks till the day I die (good news is the gov't put in a VA cemetary at the Arvin cutoff on 58, six miles from here. Just toss me out there).

So far, no more fire.

Brad

There is a lot about Cali that I liked.

There are many good folks there but when they closed my range and the boom-boom music started coming from all sides it was time to leave. I would have liked to keep my classroom for a few more years but ...it was not to be.

karl

That is a NICE motorcycle!

Thanks, FC.

I have fun with it. I've had it since Nov. 2006, and it has almost 75K miles on it. I know a group of guys that like to go riding and they like to up to Sonora for a lunch and then come back. I've done it twice with them, and it is 520 miles round trip. :o