Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Gun Show Today

ken98k

Lots of guns, lots of Mausers, prices varied wildly.

My buddy bought his first "Black Gun". We went shooting after the show, he's now lost to the dark side.

I bought this Russian mod. 44 in 7.62X54R from an FFL dealer. He told me it had been sporterized and he even showed me what a great job they did bend the bolt down.

I had to agree.

I gave him $100 and a pos derringer.

post-200-131813318655_thumb.jpg

I had to look twice because the fore stock has those grip toughs like a Russian does. But the tip off is the lack of a magazine. I know you can reduce the mag to just a floor plate on an Enfield, but I have never seen it done on a Mosin or any variant thereof.

That is a pretty gun, and should you want to get rid of it for any reason...

Oy vey!

This from an FFL licensee...

Paul

I've heard that term but had to look it up to be sure. Yiddish for "Oh dear" or the like. Why Oy vey? Especially on a site entitled "sporterizing.com?

That is a beautiful rifle; very understated IMO. Not some veteran warrior turned into a gaudy, urban assault weapon. I have had a swede for better than twenty years. It is a real shooter and actually more sporterized (in the old style) than this example, though I did not do it.

I've heard that term but had to look it up to be sure. Yiddish for "Oh dear" or the like. Why Oy vey? Especially on a site entitled "sporterizing.com?

That is a beautiful rifle; very understated IMO. Not some veteran warrior turned into a gaudy, urban assault weapon. I have had a swede for better than twenty years. It is a real shooter and actually more sporterized (in the old style) than this example, though I did not do it.

I have a couple other sweedes but have only sporterized one myself. I bought this one as an action only. I used it to harvest a caribou last March.

post-200-131830421531_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...