Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Winter Camouflage

NagantTAL

I have not done one in winter one. yet. Duracoat sells a winter camo kit. You might take a look at that to see if that is the direction you want to go.

I am in the process of collecting materials to do a dedicated MN91/30 varmint rifle in a Boyds Thumbhole in Forest camo. Have the ATI reciever scope mount. It will be a while before I am ready to start working on that one, but will post some pics when I get started. I might buy the foprest camo kit from duracoat to finish the metal off or might try to be creative on my own. Don't know yet.

Good luck and post some pics on progress.

Darin

ken98k,

Any suggestions on a brand, and what about the barrel temperature?

Thanks,

Tim

My preference would be flat white enamel from rustolium.

I dont think you need to worry about barrel heat, but if you feel that will be an issue, use high temp engine paint.

My preference would be flat white enamel from rustolium.

I dont think you need to worry about barrel heat, but if you feel that will be an issue, use high temp engine paint.

Good idea!

Like I said earlier, the Duracoat is just a little too expensive.

Thanks for the advice Ken!

Tim

Oh, what effect, of any, will cleaning solvents have on the paint job?

Also, would you go with the same paint for the scope and rings?

I wouldn't want to paint the scope and rings.

Have you looked at this?:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Gun-Storage/Sleeves-Camo|/pc/104792580/c/104730480/sc/104576580/Camo-Form-Gun-Wrap/707441.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-gun-storage-sleeves-camo%2F_%2FN-1100214&WTz_l=SEO%3Bcat104576580

I'd read the reviews... At least with this option you're not tied into a specific season.

I'm a little confused by camouflaging a rifle. Are you actually trying to conceal yourself from something while hunting, or just trying to spice up a rifle? My thinking is that having blued or stainless metal would provide a good contrast against a white stock.

On the old board, someone (fmsniper?) had camo'd a stock using nylon fishnet stretched over the stock. The "lines" were painted as a base coat, and the main color was painted with the nylon fishnet stretched over that base. My thinking is that brown or olive drab as a base with white as a final would look wicked.

Krylon is quite durable if you sand and prime well. Put on lots of coats. I beat up my predator guns pretty badly, but when I get a scrape, I just sand the area and add to the camo!223edge.jpg

Krylon is quite durable if you sand and prime well. Put on lots of coats. I beat up my predator guns pretty badly, but when I get a scrape, I just sand the area and add to the camo!

sayak,

That's sharp!

I'm trying to imagine what a Russian sniper would do with a Nagant M91/30.

The gun will most likely never see the woods, the camouflage is just for the looks.

Did you paint right over the bluing?

What about the scope, what did you do to prep it?

Thanks,

Tim

That is a Savage Edge .223. It comes with a black plastic stock and some sort of slightly textured black coating on the barrel. I striped it, scope and all, with blue masking tape, primed it with Krylon Fusion light Grey primer, then with flat white. Next I took off the tape and used a mesh bag for "snake skin" using the same flat white. Lastly I fogged it here and there with olive drab. Surprisingly it blends right in with our wintertime Alaska snow and black spruce environment. I generally use a scope visor to break up the black scope lens so as to fool them 'yotes.

I'm trying to imagine what a Russian sniper would do with a Nagant M91/30.

Thanks,Tim

Soldiers on the Eastern Front used white cloth for camo. I'm just speculating and assume a Russian or German sniper likely wrapped their rifles with the same white colored cloth. I recall seeing something on the History Channel about the WW2 Eastern Front. The program mentioned and showed something about soldiers stealing bed sheets and white garments from medical supplies to use as camouflage.