Military Firearm Restoration Corner
Sign in to follow this  
Quick Karl

6Mm Remington Mauser

For quite a long time I've wanted a nice Mauser, just because I love Mausers. What other rifle action out there do you think will still be viable 113 years later?

So I was looking and looking and deciding between buying one or finding a good action that hadn't been hill-billied or the seller didn't think was the last one on Earth, and building a rifle from it...

So one day I am just killing time and I'm looking a J&G Sales website (they are in Prescott, AZ and I am in Scottsdale, about a 2-hr drive), and I see this Commercial Mauser listed for cheap. Says it's a Herter's and very good condition, and from the looks of the photos was a good looking rifle with just the kind of stock (Monte Carlo with no cheek piece) that I like.

Now most folks will tell you a Herter's isn't a collector grade Mauser, but most people don't know that any Herter's that has "Made in Yugoslavia" written on the side of the receiver are the exact same actions as a Mark X, made in the exact same factory. In fact, many an unscrupulous rat have polished the "Made in Yugoslavia" OFF Herter's receivers and sold them to trusting buyers for way more than they should have.

So I went to have a look and it was, for all intents, a brand spankin new Herter's in 6mm Remington that I bet hadn't been fired 10-times – the inside of the barrel was still blue… All of the metal is polished and blued so beautiful you would have to see it for yourself to believe it. Not a scratch on it, anywhere.

What a sweet little rifle! I took it to the range and shot 2-boxes of Federal ammo and it can group 80-grain bullets 1-3/4". The old guys at the range were all over it - that high polished deep dark blue isn't something you see much anymore. I can't wait to see what it will do with a good hand load worked up.

The stock is a lil shiny so I'm going to strip and refinish and epoxy bed it while I'm at it – definitely needs a rear pillar – and a Timney trigger and the correct scope bases are in the mail (the hillbilly that owned it previously must have screwed whatever he had laying around on to the rifle because I almost ran out of adjustment getting my 4-12 Nikon on paper).

Varmints beware. Truly, a sweet rifle! I'll post better pictures when I get them...

fc8e4a32.jpg

Congratulations, that's a nice rifle in a great caliber, Quick Karl. It appears to be a wonderful find, and should prove to be a keeper.

Spiris

That is a lucky find, especially from J&G. J&G has some good buys on their surplus guns but are usually way to high on their used guns claiming they are all collector's items.

It's a sweet rifle and was the best of the 4 or 5 commercial Mausers they had - in terms of actual condition. They had a Parker Hale 300 WIN and a couple other Herter's but this was the sweetest rifle, least ways the day I was in their store. All in all its perfect for the type of shooting I enjoy most -- paper targets and vermin, though AZ isn't really the best place to be for vermin/varmint shooting, but the occasional Coyote will do... There used to be a small clan of prairie dogs just across the road from Lake Mary but that was over 10-years ago and I don't think there is a single prairie dog left anywhere in AZ... but they sure were fun to shoot!

Now, The 1937 BRNO VZ24 I have sitting here that is waiting for work before I can screw my Schneider 7mm polygon barrel into it (280 Ackley), won't be looking at me with as much evil in it's eyes, or at least the looks won't bug me as much! :lol:

I also have a nice 03A3 that is waiting for some truing operations before I screw my Douglas barrel (30-06 Ackley) into it, but that can wait too.

What a surprise....

When I bought the rifle it had a little 4x32 scope on it mounted in some Weaver rings, which I immediately uninstalled and replaced with a 4-12 Nikon I had laying around so that I could go shoot it until my Vortex 6.5-20x44 Deadhold scope shows up (Thursday this week). So tonight I finally got around to taking the rings off that old 4x32 and whaddaya know, it says HERTER'S INC on it. 4X32 JV2S7 No. H70-0533 (JAPAN on the bottom of scope).

I never knew they had their own brand of scope, but I will say it is in almost as excellent condition as the rifle, and I am surprised how clear and bright the darned thing is, no scratches on the glass that I can see even with 10X magnivisor. Cleaned up beautiful.

I'm going to stash it in the safe this way I can screw it back on the rifle if I ever decide to sell it. Heck I might just have to buy a .22 now to have something to screw the Herter's scope on to…

nice! i bought a herters 6mm barrel off ebay years ago. the 24/47 it's slated for is almost ready to accept the barrel. i'd be pleased if it turned out close to how your rifle shows.

a573463d.jpg

So far - ground the old very poorly done Acra Glas hillbilly bedding job out and re-bedded with Marine Tex epoxy / installed Timney Featherweight Delux trigger and adjusted to exactly 2-lbs / installed Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 scope in Leupold QRW rings on Weaver steel Grand Slam bases / worked up some hand loads (80G Berger FBV & SIERRA 100G SPT) loaded to touch the rifling when chambered (surprisingly leaves plenty of room to spare in the magazine), and, we'll see if I can find a load she likes.

I know I am biased but I think its a sweet looking rifle and will look even better once I refinish the stock.

a573463d.jpg

I know I am biased but I think its a sweet looking rifle and will look even better once I refinish the stock.

IMO some checkering would make a world of difference.

Another 3/4 minute group - I think I am going to work on this load a little more and see if I can improve the groups -- the stock is definately finicky in the rest but it's not a target stock so I can't really complain. It's a Mauser after all, and has a skinny barrel, and urban legend has it that Mausers can't shoot tiny groups, and neither can skinny barrels...

But for a 30-yr old rifle, I'm happy with it!

a76273dc.jpg

I wonder what's causing the horizontal stringing of the groups?

I thought the first target was a fluke, but the second has a similar pattern. I so used to seeing vertical stringing; horizontal just looks odd to me. Vertically, you're looking at... what?... 1/4"?

Bedding? Bases? Scope?

Now, 3/4" is nothing to sneeze at on a non-target rifle, and it will blast prairie dogs nicely at significant ranges too.

Nothing to complain about. I'm just thinking that it's very fixable and you actually have a VERY accurate toy there.

I'm not looking for excuses but the rifle is really rest-unfriendly. If you don't have the rear rabbit-ear bag lined up straight the rifle will print left or right, and whatever the finish is on the stock is jumpy on the leather.

I do plan on re-finishing the stock with True-oil (which I've always had great luck with) but just haven't done it yet and typically wait till all the other work is finished. I re-did the bedding (Epoxy) and all the screws (Action / scope bases / rings) are tight so I'm reasonably confident about that phase - I think it will shoot if I get serious about 100% consistency on the bags, and I think refinishing the stock will help it slide on the leather better.

We'll see...

I wonder what's causing the horizontal stringing of the groups?

I thought the first target was a fluke, but the second has a similar pattern. I so used to seeing vertical stringing; horizontal just looks odd to me. Vertically, you're looking at... what?... 1/4"?

Bedding? Bases? Scope?

Now, 3/4" is nothing to sneeze at on a non-target rifle, and it will blast prairie dogs nicely at significant ranges too.

Nothing to complain about. I'm just thinking that it's very fixable and you actually have a VERY accurate toy there.

Over the long weekend I figured I would do something constructive, so I refinished the stock!

22165a7f.jpg

The picture doesn't do it justice - I'll see if I can get a better photo outdoors. But, she looks a heck of a lot better than when I bought her, IMHO!

Well... after waiting for over a year for some 'gunsmith' to find the time to do some work on a few other rifles I have, I just found out that Douglas Barrels WILL chamber and install their best quality barrel on your action for a price that surprised the snot outta me! AND, while they don't blue rifles themselves, one of their employees DOES, and that too for a great price! So, while I wait, and wait, and wait, for a machinist I know to make a part for my M1903 project (in the works for 2-years now), I decided to send my 6MM Rem (the rifle in this thread) to Douglas, and the UPS guy just left with it!

I'm going to have a 26" Douglas XX Premium Air Gaged 6MM Rem 9-twist #5 contour installed and, I can't wait!

It shot OK with the factory barrel but, I just wanted a better quality barrel! I like to get the best groups I can and that factory barrel just wasn't makin it - plus it had a 7-twist which just gave me the willies... I also got a pretty nice stock from Boyd's (I paid $15 extra for a hand pick) and it does feel nicer than the factory stock, so when it comes back I will bed it and finish it and work up a load!

Should be a nice Coyote gun!

So, Douglas quoted me 4 to 6-weeks to install my barrel and reblue -- they recieved the rifle 9 JAN (12-days ago) and called me today to say it would be ready to ship tomorrow!

That's the fastest 4 to 6-weeks I ever seen! :D

You should have got checkered and left it at that.

I ike smooth wood - plus I am getting the old barrel back too so if I ever get a wild hair I can screw it back on!

I actually have a surprisingly nice Boyd's stock that I will inlet for the new barrel - this way I have the factory stock and don't have to plow the barrel chanel :-)

It's baaaack! Looks beautiful, really nice blue job! Now I just have to let it into the Boyd's stock, pilar bed it, sand and tru-oil it, and break it in!

One thing that suprised me - I asked for the factory barrel to be returned and you can see where that barrel was screwed into the action so hard it actually raised up burs on the breech face of the barrel, where the bolt-lug raceway passes through the inner shoulder... :blink:

I'm no expert like Don Markey but, seems to me like no way any rifle is going to shoot with that kind of stress!

:-D

New Douglas XX Air Gaged and Boyd's Prairie Hunter... Still have a few minor things to do but I had to put it all together and take pics!

7APR2013002_zpscc4a76f4.jpg

7APR2013001_zpsb787eea8.jpg

I guess nobody likes my rifle. After all that hard work getting that stock to fit and oiling it up too...

I think your rifle rocks.

How long is the barrel? Looks at least 24". Have you chronographed it?

Why the QD rings/bases?

What's the intended purpose? With the scope and barrel length, you certainly can reach out a ways....

Thanks, Nutty!

It is a 26-inch barrel #5 contour so it's like a light-varmint looking barrel - and haven't even fired anything through the new barrel yet so chronograph loads is a little ways off - I don't even break out my chrono till I get a load shooting the way I like...

If I work on my rifle I like to pop the scope off and put it away - one less thing to nick or scratch :blink: Those QRW rings and steel Weaver Grand Slam bases actually return to zero amazingly consistently!

In my vicarious life, there would still be hoards of those little prairie dogs that Arizona used to have, and the rifle would be my varmint rifle - but all I really ever shoot is 1/2" adhesive dots stuck on 3x5 index cards, to see how good a group I can shoot with a practical, useable, but damned nice looking rifle.

I figure it could be a great antelope and/or white tail rifle, but if I killed one I would have to find someone to give it to because I prefer real steaks! :D

It would make a nice antelope rifle, or a "bean field" of sorts. Definitely an open-terrain option.

I like the look of Boyd's Prarie Hunter, although for me the stock drops a little much. Maybe that monte carlo cheek piece makes up for it.

It's a really clean, straight piece of walnut. You've done a great job.