Military Firearm Restoration Corner
Sign in to follow this  
Quick Karl

6Mm Remington Mauser

I wasn't sure I was going to like the stock but the day it was delivered and I picked it up and shouldered it I was like huh, I might like this stock...

After getting the rifle shoehorned into it, I am way more than happy with how it shoulders and feels - I actually like the thing!

I had to pay $15 extra for hand-select piece of wood! That must be Boyd's 'Exhibition Grade" :D But kidding aside, it's a surprisingly nice piece of wood -- the photos look a little washed out.

Nice job Karl, I guess good, better, best and never let them rest etc applies to your project. Now don't go hogging up all the yotes.

My brother that lives in your neck of the woods, northern Scottsdale. He's been telling me Bobcats are getting problematic in his area. The northern edge of the city might provide you with a target rich environment.

The problem is you used to be able to find places to shoot just outside of Carefree / Cave Creek - now you have to drive to Payson to be outside city limits! :D

I think I might go start breaking the barrel in tomorrow. We'll see...

I still haven't found that "magic" load yet but, I thought I would post what I have so far, just for the heck of it...

003A_zpsccdc4121.jpg002A_zpsbb8f635b.jpg001A_zps2be93888.jpg

And these are from 2-weeks ago 100g Sierra SBT's -- it looks like it wants to group but I just need to keep working on it!

050913C_zps3b898a88.jpg050913B_zps28d3e5ad.jpg050913A_zpsf2148ef5.jpg

I think I need to drag this thing back out to the range and finish working up a load for it!

Karl keep working on your load but I have had new barrels need some breaking in before I got my money's worth. I've never played with 6MM but from what I've read. The twist rate and bullet weight have to be the right combination. One reason 243 out sold the 6MM was the different twist rate made the 243 more accurate with heavier bullets.

When I had Douglas re-barrel the rifle (XX Premium Air-gaged) I asked for a 9-twist, just like a .243!

It'll shoot - I just have to get serious about working a load up now that the weather is nicer.

Soon I will be posting photos of my Springfield 03A3 with Winchester 3-position safety, custom made titanium striker, custom made 8620 cocking piece, 03 milled bottom metal, Dakota bolt-knob, 30-06 AI Douglas barrel, and aluminum pillar Marine Tex bedded Boyd's stock just like the stock on the 6mm! B)