Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Thoughts On A Barrel Vise And Receiver Wrench?

unioncreek

I am going to be rebarreling my Turkish Mauser and don't have a barrel wrench or vise. Can you chuck the barrel in a lath chuck(lock the chuck) to remove the barrel or will it not hold it? Also I've seen receiver wrenches that fit into the receiver? The one I seen had a bar that was the same size as the lugs on the bolt and then a rod welded to it. Would these work?

Bob

I am going to be rebarreling my Turkish Mauser and don't have a barrel wrench or vise. Can you chuck the barrel in a lath chuck(lock the chuck) to remove the barrel or will it not hold it? Also I've seen receiver wrenches that fit into the receiver? The one I seen had a bar that was the same size as the lugs on the bolt and then a rod welded to it. Would these work?

Bob

I would avoid internal action wrenches. I'm sure they do have their uses but for what you are contemplating I suggest you order an eternal action wrench and a barrel vise from Brownells.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the advise, I'd seen the internal wrenches, but don't know a lot about them. I just bought my first Turkish Mauser and I'm going to rebarrel it to 30-06. Will probably give it to my son in Alaska. Where in Alaska are you from?

Bobg

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the advise, I'd seen the internal wrenches, but don't know a lot about them. I just bought my first Turkish Mauser and I'm going to rebarrel it to 30-06. Will probably give it to my son in Alaska. Where in Alaska are you from?

Bobg

I'm in the Fairbanks area. A 30-06 will serve your son well.

Here's a link to a barrel vise problem I had several years ago. http://www.sporterizing.com/index.php?showtopic=1996&st=0

I ended up replacing the wood blocks with steel with a 1 1/2" hole. I now have a lathe so I make my own bushings from 1 1/2" aluminum round stock.

Do you want to save the barrel?

You already have a lathe, or you are talking as though you do.

Chuck the barrel in the lathe and make a relief cut in the barrel just forward of the receiver. Get as close as you can without actually hitting the receiver. This reduces the torque pressure between the two parts and should allow easy barrel removal by hand, or at least with minimal pressure.

Ken,

I spent 10 days in Fairbanks in early August. I had a granddaughter born 10 weeks early, so we spend a lot of time in the NICU. My son lives in Healy, hopefully I'll make it up next summer.

Gun Nutty,

I do have access to a lathe and I may this time cut the barrel to remove it. We have a newer LeBlonde with a six foot bed and a older South Bend with a four foot bed. I like the South Bend better, it always takes me an hour to figure out all the levers on the Le Bond.

Bob

I'm in the Fairbanks area. A 30-06 will serve your son well.

Here's a link to a barrel vise problem I had several years ago. http://www.sporterizing.com/index.php?showtopic=1996&st=0

I ended up replacing the wood blocks with steel with a 1 1/2" hole. I now have a lathe so I make my own bushings from 1 1/2" aluminum round stock.

If you have access to a lathe and a mill you can make your own barrel vise and action wrench; it’s not that hard to do.

I used a piece of 1-1/4 square 1018 bar stock for both my wrench and vise. A piece of 1-1/2 rd aluminum can become your barrel bushings.

Some people use 1-1/2 for a barrel vise and one poster has graciously shown us his wrench and vise in a slightly different style. (very nice by the way)

Don,

Nice looking wrench and vise. I wish I had access to a mill. We do have a big old drill press at work and I think they have bits up to 2 inches. I'll have to check.

Sent the payment for the barrel today.

Bob

Bob, here's what I build to use. Pretty simple project if you have access to a mill.

Don

gb.jpg

There was a fellow in central Pa. (Steve? something) that had a number of simple but effective

tools / fixtures that could easily be made. I can't find the link right now. before I graduated to another, I used his U-bolt and 'bedrail' receiver fixture. You can make a barrel vice with a combination of wood and steel. The 'meat' of it could be something like a nice hard oak / maple with the 1.5" hole drilled through it for the bushing. Saw a cut through the

center of the cylinder then sandwich the wood with 1/8" or heavier steel plate as the 'bread'.

There was a fellow in central Pa. (Steve? something) that had a number of simple but effective

tools / fixtures that could easily be made. I can't find the link right now. before I graduated to another, I used his U-bolt and 'bedrail' receiver fixture. You can make a barrel vice with a combination of wood and steel. The 'meat' of it could be something like a nice hard oak / maple with the 1.5" hole drilled through it for the bushing. Saw a cut through the

center of the cylinder then sandwich the wood with 1/8" or heavier steel plate as the 'bread'.

Steve Wagner?

http://www.gswagner.com/

• 4 weeks later...

See that notch in donmarkey's wrench?

You can use a wrench without it, but it scuffs up the receivers and binds the bolts.

It took me years to figure out why I needed that notch.

The bolts, the contact to the top of the receiver, and the contact to the bottom of the receiver, must all be in the same plane, or there is bind.