Military Firearm Restoration Corner

A Build Is Only Finished...

rustvyper

...when it's been blooded!

Brother dropped this nice 10 monday with the 270.

aef847b8.jpg

My little girl was pretty proud of her uncle. I doubt I'll ever make her a gunsmith, but a deer hunter, yes! She kept telling my wife all day after I took her "scouting", "see these scratches right here? They were made by big bucks!"

bf03b439.jpg

What a little Doll! Your a lucky Dad.

Nice buck too! What about the other deer in the back ground?

The other deer was a doe he had killed about an hour earlier at first light. He pretty much killed the buck because he shot the doe first. He forgot his headlamp & couldn't find his climber in the dark & he said he was busting deer left & right around him & getting madder & madder so he just laid down on the ground in the middle of the woods. I texted him right after first light & he had just texted back (the only reason he didn't have his eyes closed he said) when he noticed the doe about 50 yards from him. Shot her through the heart & she kicked once, then he looked up & realized his stand was 20 feet from him. :)

He climbed up & the wind kicked up real bad. He said the first he realized the buck was there was when the deer was 5 yards from him. He got buck fever real bad & couldn't find him in his scope (because he had it dialed up to 8x power from killing the doe). The buck was totally locked on the dead doe, just staring it down & trying to get her wind (ain't the rut grand!?)

He shoots & totally misses (buck fever!) & the buck runs. He shoots at him on the run & misses. The buck then stops & looks back at the doe again. At this point he dials down his scope to 3x & fires his last round. The buck runs off & he thinks he missed it clean. He climbs down since he's out of ammo & starts texting me to tell me he missed. Then he notices a drop of blood, then a LOT of blood. The deer didn't go 30 feet...

We had a crazy morning since it was both our last day of leave. We caped him out & took him to the taxidermist. His first good buck that wasn't a 1.5yo 4 point!

Real nice buck, and such a little cutie pie "scout" you have. Congratulations all around.

Spiris

Congrats rustvyper to your brother on a great double and congrats to you on your little "scout". My daughter loves hunting with me, I started her when she was young too. My happiest days have been with my kids in the woods.