Military Firearm Restoration Corner

8Mm 185 Remmy

corelock

There is a lot of doubt as to how the 185 remmy works at mauser speeds. Well, the gun is a turk with the barrel cut to 19 inches. The load puts the vel at the muzzle at about 2350-2400 cronoed. The target was a 60 lb doe at about 170-200 yds. I hit the doe in the edge of the shoulder, it passed to the other side hitting part of the rib. THe exit hole in the rib was about 3/4 to 7/8 inch. All and all I was pleased with the damage and would say the bullet expanded well for what it had hit. I had been planning to change loads to go to something with a bit more horse power, but I think I stay with this.

Today was the last day of our rifle season. Used the same rifle as mentioned above. Had a spike at about 80 yds. I muffed the shot hitting the deer in the spine. It was a huge hole. THe bullet came out where the ribs come away from the backbone. I could almost put my fist in the hole where the 185 came out. I was shocked to see that big of a hole, of course that is about the most bone on the deer.