Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New 98 Mausers

gregaba

I read that article. It looked interesting. I think they are basically a M48 or M48a, but I think the bottom was milled, so that would be a M48. Kinda pricey, but new, and with used mil=surp ones going for almost 400 (last show I was at, mid 300's), I guess not out of line. I think I'd rather have one of those than one of Mitchel's re-furb ones.

I read that article. It looked interesting. I think they are basically a M48 or M48a, but I think the bottom was milled, so that would be a M48. Kinda pricey, but new, and with used mil=surp ones going for almost 400 (last show I was at, mid 300's), I guess not out of line. I think I'd rather have one of those than one of Mitchel's re-furb ones.

Doc,

You may recall a few years ago there was debate on this subject with Bubbamauser.

I was unable to find the thread but as I recall Bubbmauser was pro 30-06 on an intermeadiate action and used Mitchell's Tanker as proof it could be done. As it turned out the Tanker model was actually a standard action.

You may have better luck finding the thread and associated links.

Hi

Called Mitchells today to order a new K98 and they have all ready sold out of the first batch. The next batch will be ready in 5 or 6 months from now.

They sent me a e mail which had new M63 tankers in 308, 30.06 and 243 for $495 and $595 fot the 308. I didn't talk to the guy about them and it is too late to call today but I might call them tomorrow and see if they have any of them.

Greg

I read the article with interest.

When they say Serbian, I wonder if there's a connection to the Mark X by Zastava? They were Yugoslavian. If they are the same action, then I'm guessing that they aren't Intermediates but rather full length.

I own 4 Zastavas and don't have any complaints (they work, are accurate, and were cheap enough at the time).

Did you check out the specs on the 8MM ammo tested in the article? That Yugo surplus was HOT! 2589 fps with 198 grainers. That truly humbles the Federal 170 grain load at 2246 fps.

The Zastava site calls their m48/63 "a modification of military rifle M48."

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/cms/index.php?id=248

Mitchells site say's it's a "Full-sized Action" which I take to mean a standard length.

http://www.mauser.net/firearms/rifles/mauser-rifles/m63tanker/index.htm

Either way, it has sort of a kool factor. I'll have to check my books at home but I beleive back in the day, there was a very similar rifle made for one of the south American countries.

Did you look at the LK M808 model on that Zastava site? Damn, what a brute looking machine! If that isn't the most rigid Mauser-based system, I don't know what would be.

The LK M98 looks like a post WWII Mauser with the shroud-mounted wing safety. The LK M70 is more along the lines of the Mark X.

Perhaps the Mitchell model is more of a LK M98.

Did you look at the LK M808 model on that Zastava site? Damn, what a brute looking machine! If that isn't the most rigid Mauser-based system, I don't know what would be.

You may be interestedin this--

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=267986804