Military Firearm Restoration Corner

300 Sav M98

911rat

I built 2 7.62X39's on 03 Turk ( large ring intermediate ) actions.

I'd guess that it would be similar.

The feeding with the issue follower was iffy.

I found a 'short cartridge' plastic follower with spring that made all the difference.

I loaded up 5 rounds and cycled them through the action 4 times to convince myself.

if you are looking for a potent light recoil cartridge you might consider the 7.62X39.

I've already take a few deer with one of the 2 I built.

Good luck which ever way you go.

Tinker B)

Always did want a .300 Savage. I bought a spanish action four years ago just for a .300 or a .250 Savage. If I ever get around to it I will go the .300 route. Its a great round that deserves more attention; it may not be a high pressure kill em' for a mile round or the latest "Ultra Something" but it is a classic. Like Clemson said, shouldn't be a problem to feed. I'd save that 98 for something else if it was me, but its your gun and if you want a .300 go for it!

Brenden

I got some brass from someone :rolleyes: years ago to work up a 300 on a turk 03. Never done anything with it yet. Too many other projects. Now that I'm laid up for a couple months I should dig the stuff out. What kind of project you have in mind. I don't know if you are still in the neighborhood but if you need any assistance let me know.

Don

Yeah, still in the neighborhood, new wife, new baby girl. Haven't had time to work on any projects lately and haven't been on the board in a long time. Gonna start 'em slow and steady when I can. I hope to finish a 6.5x55 as a gift for my Dad first.

I'm trying not to add any more reloading dies to my collection. Heck I might just go 308 but I already have a 308 bolt gun. So I guess I haven't made up my mind quite yet. I thought the 300 had a straighter case, but I tried some dummys and they seem like they'll feed fine with a little polishing of the extractor. I thought a bolt gun in 300 would be the perfect compliment to my Model 99 and the cartridge is very pleasant to shoot.

Regarding the 7.62x39, I built a 7.62x39 AR upper last summer as a "brush gun". Turned out to be one of the most accurate rifles I own. Don't let anyone tell you the cartridge itself is inaccurate.

Regarding the 7.62x39, I built a 7.62x39 AR upper last summer as a "brush gun". Turned out to be one of the most accurate rifles I own. Don't let anyone tell you the cartridge itself is inaccurate.

How much did that upper run you in cost, if you don't mind me asking? I'd love to build one in 7.62x39. I already have one in 5.45x39.

How much did that upper run you in cost, if you don't mind me asking? I'd love to build one in 7.62x39. I already have one in 5.45x39.

Had to think about it a bit. About 600 but it could be done a lot cheaper if it was configured different, it all adds up;

Flat top upper

16" stainless barrel

AR Performance 4x4 brake

Vltor gas block

Samson Evo 11" handguard

The first time I tried it out it ejected at 1 o'clock and the cases were hitting the rear of the ejection port. I swapped out the H buffer for an H3 and it started ejecting at about 3 o' clock. I think the barrel maker used a larger than needed gas port.

Yeah, still in the neighborhood, new wife, new baby girl. Haven't had time to work on any projects lately and haven't been on the board in a long time. Gonna start 'em slow and steady when I can. I hope to finish a 6.5x55 as a gift for my Dad first.

I'm trying not to add any more reloading dies to my collection. Heck I might just go 308 but I already have a 308 bolt gun. So I guess I haven't made up my mind quite yet. I thought the 300 had a straighter case, but I tried some dummys and they seem like they'll feed fine with a little polishing of the extractor. I thought a bolt gun in 300 would be the perfect compliment to my Model 99 and the cartridge is very pleasant to shoot.

Congratulations, kind of the same story here. Same neighborhood, new wife, new kids. Except the kids are 14 and 17.

Don