Military Firearm Restoration Corner
Sign in to follow this  
MilsurpAddict

Jungle Carbine Restoration

It is held on by 2 flush ground pins. Has yours been chopped? Original's are pretty tough to find and I have heard some horror stories about the Numerich repo's

I have 2 #5's that are happily in very nice original condition. One of them had almost no finish and a large number of pits. I wire wheel & buffed the rough spots and then used a very tiny burr in my dremmal to make sure that all of the active rust was removed from all of the pits then I refinished it with AlumaHyde. Came out really nice.

I have a few #5 parts on hand, a BSA trigger guard, and a NOS ROF Poole back-sight.

It is held on by 2 flush ground pins. Has yours been chopped? Original's are pretty tough to find and I have heard some horror stories about the Numerich repo's

I have 2 #5's that are happily in very nice original condition. One of them had almost no finish and a large number of pits. I wire wheel & buffed the rough spots and then used a very tiny burr in my dremmal to make sure that all of the active rust was removed from all of the pits then I refinished it with AlumaHyde. Came out really nice.

I have a few #5 parts on hand, a BSA trigger guard, and a NOS ROF Poole back-sight.

Hi Curt,

I had planned on ordering an original replacement from Numrich as listed in their catalog, but looking online now I see they only list the repros. How bad are they? My carbine is in pretty decent shape except that someone sawed off the flashhider cone.

That is pretty common to find them cut off. I don't have any personal experience with the repro's but have heard reports of them not staying on the barrel.

You might try Ebay UK I know if at least 1 person finding an original with a barrel stub still in it there.

That is pretty common to find them cut off. I don't have any personal experience with the repro's but have heard reports of them not staying on the barrel.

Saw that with my own eyes about 20 years ago. Friend bought a Jungle Carbine at a gun show. The flash hider looked in better shape than the rest of the rifle and was likely a replacement. On his second or third shot it came loose. A machinist relative of my friend fixed it so it stayed in place but it has just been to many years to recall how it was fixed.

MilsurpAddict

If you are still looking for a #5 muzzle device I just found this at Springfield Sporters

FLASH HIDER, Original, on cut barrel 75.00

Pricy, but probably worth it for an original.

There has got to be a blue gazillion of those sitting in junk boxes under the workbench of every sandlot gunsmith in the UK, USA,and probably most commonwealth nations too. When people cut them from the barrel to make a deer rifle they don't toss them out, they are the kind of people who save everything just in case they might need it for something or someone else well need it and you can swapum for something you need.

Any way, thats my story and I'm stickin to it.