Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Scope Mount Recomendation

CurtInAtl

I am looking for 1" mounts for a 1916 small ring action, something of a vintage style that would look good with a Mannlicher stock and a Weaver V-3. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am looking for 1" mounts for a 1916 small ring action, something of a vintage style that would look good with a Mannlicher stock and a Weaver V-3. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have nothing definite to suggest save for perhaps period Weaver rings/mounts, but you might make a search on eBay for scope mounts, rings vintage gun parts, etc and keep an eye on it and see if something interesting comes up. The auction time gives enough lead to ask around (discretely, mind you :) ) about particular items.

Good luck.

How did you come by a Mannlicher stock? I'm looking...

How did you come by a Mannlicher stock? I'm looking...

They say they can cut these for up to a 22" barrel. I'm going to get an economy or standard grade stock because I would hate to trash an expensive stock but you gotta learn on something.

I had an old military stock I was going to use but I found out why you don't sand a stock and carry on a conversation at the same time. One side of the forend next to the barrel down towards the muzzle in now about 1/8" thick. It can still be used but it will have to be alot shorter than I want.

I am at the point now where I am just fooling around a bit to see what I can do and see if this is something I want to get more serious with. I want to be sure before I sink a small fortune into tools and equipment.

I am just about finished with the barrel. The first couple of inches in from the muzzle were pretty much a smooth bore and it had that "surface of Mars" look to it. I cut it down to 16.5" and have removed the steps and most of the pits with a file, grinder, and sander belts cut and used in a shoe shine motion. Before it gets hot enough to where it's uncomfortable to hold in a bare hand I stop and let it air cool. It is amazing how much metal you can remove by hand with 80 grit sanding belts.

Periodically I use a really large sharpie and a sheet of sandpaper flat on the bench to show where the high spots are.

I think a set of Remington 700 sights will work and the the hole from the rear sight base pin is in about the right spot to tap and use to mount the rear sight. I have a friend with a drill press and I can use the existing hole to align the barrel in the vice to drill the front hole.

I am planning on replacing the barrel eventually but in the mean time I am having a good time working with this one.