Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mauser Under $200

donmarkey

That's my goal away. This is a project that I have had on the bench for a while to work on in between other projects. Started with a $60 turk mauser the I sold off all the parts except the bolt and ejector box for $90. So that gave me $30 for the PME safety kit. I normally would have sold the bolt too, but this one had a nice czech bolt already as I won't weld a turk bolt. Bolt handle and timney trigger was picked up in a parts lot for free since I sold the rest of the lot for a profit. Rem 700 take off I got for free, hopefully it with shoot. I picked up this guard for about $10 since it was missing the floorplate. So I started to cut I new one when I was making a couple oberndorf plates for a customer. Picked up a Butler Creek stock for $30, trued up the front and rear rings and drilled and tapped it for scope bases. So far I have $40 in it but still have a way to go. I'll have to see, still need a scope, rings and bases. That will be the big ticket items. I did get a set of Leupold QR bases out of the bargin bin at cabelas I could recut the bottoms to fit the mauser. Still up it the are about that one, but I know I don't like weaver rings or bases but I want quick release and the others might put me over the price mark.

Don

turk30-06001.jpg

turk30-06002.jpg

turk30-06003.jpg

turk30-06004.jpg

Looks great so far. Completing a build under 200 is certainly a challenge.

Is that a commercial 06 length guard? Did you modify the receiver for the longer mag box?

Yes it is and no not yet as I like to do that in the bedded stock to make sure it is perfectly flush. I mark it cut it close then finish it up by hand thru the floorplate opening in the stock. Rules out any shifting the parts do when tighened in the bedded stock. Thinking of cutting chamfers on that floorplate instead or rounding it, be a different look. Haven't decided, dont know how the corners would turn out. I could always round it over later if it doesn't look right.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the leupold qr bases for $15 from the bargin bin at cabelas and a set of rings off of gb for $10 shipped so now I am at $65 total. I recut the bottom of the front base as low as I could get it, but the rear base was going to still be too low. So I pulled the lever out or it and made a new base. I like this one better anyway as it doesn't block as much of the loading port. I'll clean up the sharp corners when I get it ready for finish.

Don

turk30-06011.jpg

turk30-06012.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
.......Thinking of cutting chamfers on that floorplate instead or rounding it,.......

If you're talkinig about milling flats on it, I did an original floorplate like that once and it looked nice.

The widths of the 3 flats tapered from back to front and I melted the edges where the flats met. Where the catch hole was in the back was its own facet and I did the same on the front but made that one concave and swept it into the tongue my Dad welded on for a hinge. I had to do it all by hand so it took a while. Since I did it by hand, there was an almost imperceptible convex to the flats but I believe that looked better than what perfectly flat facets would have looked like.

I looked in the safe to see if I could get a pic but it must have been on one of my Dad's because I don't have it. He does the machine-work and welding, I do the hand-work on the metal and most of the wood-work. We trade skills when building.

There was not a lot of meat to work with and the angles were very shallow but it did look very classy. I believe it ended up on a small ring 98 chambered in .25 Souper.

I was thinking about carrying the line over from the front of the guard to the bow. Use that line as the peak and taper everything outside of that down to just shy of a feather edge. Maybe .050" or what ever looks good. Then tapering the front to match.

Don

I was thinking about carrying the line over from the front of the guard to the bow. Use that line as the peak and taper everything outside of that down to just shy of a feather edge. Maybe .050" or what ever looks good. Then tapering the front to match.

Don

That would probably look even better - everything from the front to the rear guard screws would "flow" visually.

Well I had to park some other parts so I dropped this at the same time. That a $10 for a can of plastic primer and a can of spray paint I hit the $75 mark, if I did my math right. The levers on the bases won't park. I don't know what they are made of. I guess I should have pulled them before I bead blasted. I got the floorplate installed and beaded everything. I need to get a can of alumi hide next time I order from brownells for the bottom metal and I guess I can hit the levers with it too. Still need a rear sight (probably put one of those old redfield folding peeps on the rear base),a front sight (fiber optic?), and a scope.

Don

turk30-06018.jpg

turk30-06019.jpg

turk30-06020.jpg

turk30-06021.jpg

Wow, Don, that looks fantastic!

Redfield peep? I needed a peep for my Rossi 92 lever but couldn't see $80 for an aluminum sight - couldn't "see" meant couldn't "afford." I picked up a new-old Williams FP for a Remington 740/760 from ebay and went to work with the files. I flattened the back of the base and did some sculpting on the underside of the beam to clear the locking lugs and now have a $17 peep on my lever. I saw a lot of them on ebay for obscure actions that sure looked like they would be adaptable to a Mauser. I even saw one that I thought about turning backwards and screwing the aperature in from the other side or turning the aperature carriage around.

The floor plate looks VERY nice! Everything does but that was a particularly artful, tasteful touch executed with good judgment.

EDIT:

That Butler Creek stock even looks great. What kind of paint was that?

looking really good, I've never tried the alumihyde. I've become a really big fan of gunkote since using it on my AR project and plan to use it on my non bluable mauser parts, but then they have to be baked.

Yes. I've used that stuff before. Actually the teflon bake on stuff from brownells. I don't have an electric oven anymore. I don't think putting it in the gas oven would be a good idea. If you have any in matte black and want to do it when you do some of your own parts let me know.

Don

I found an old Bushnell Sportview scope that I forgot I had. It was an a donor rifle I bought years ago. I slapped it on but couldn't get the low mounts to work, so instead of ordering new rings I scalloped the handle. Perfect clearance now. Rifle w/scope came in at 7lb 14oz. So even though I still need a front sight insert and a rear peep installed, I think it will be under the 8 pound goal I had. One of these days I will need to repark the bolt. Boresighted, now I need to go to the range to see if a free barrel shoots. If it doesn't I have 6 more to try.

Don

ebay183.jpg

• 1 month later...