Military Firearm Restoration Corner
Sign in to follow this  
AzRednek

Savage Axis

I saw an Axis at Wally's last week, camo stock in 22/250 for 299.99. I came real close to making an impulse purchase for my son. Wally has trigger locks on all their guns and the deal was killed when they refused to allow me to dry fire it. I told the clerk I couldn't buy it until I could test the trigger. After getting a song and dance about losing his job and if the trigger wasn't satisfactory Savage will fix it free of charge. The clerk called in a manager and the stupid XX tried to tell me federal regulations prohibit the removal of the trigger lock until it is sold. The manager gave me a stupid look and silence when I asked why he was attempting to insult my intelligence.

Recently there was a Sportsman's Expo here in Phx. For a few bucks to cover the cost of ammo many manufactures had booths set up at the shooting range. I shot a 223 cal Axis at Savage's booth. The trigger felt good, much better than expected. I suspect the trigger may have been doctored but possibly the non-adjustable triggers on the Axis are simply a good value. A little bit of creep and it felt like it broke about 4 lbs. Obviously Savage wouldn't put a bad one out for test firing.

Next I shot a Savage American in 270. It was absolutely beautiful, with the deep cut wood checkering it looked like 1950's gun manufacturing. High polish blueing, perfect wood metal fit and the stock was something I'd expect to find from a custom maker. The American model fixed power scope maker's name was polished out or some how hidden but obviously high end. After two shots clustered into the 35 yard target. I cheated, shot left of the target and shattered a dirt clod on the dirt mound apx 200 yds away. The Accu-Trigger was simply superb. Lighter break than I prefer but remarkably clean and crisp.

Comparing the Axis to the American model was like comparing a VW Beetle with an Earl Sheib paint job to a Karmenn Ghia convertible. For 300 bucks though the Axis is a bargain well worth the cost if it delivers reasonable shot to shot accuracy. For a low cost rifle though I prefer the more traditional looking Stevens 200. The major difference between the Axis and Model 200 outside of the stock's appearance that I noticed. The removable mag on the Axis and the traditional top loading mag on the Model 200.

I'm still a stubborn ol'fogie and when I think of a rifle. A wood stock and iron sights immediately comes to mind. At the Expo after leaving Savage's booth, the next was Ruger. First thing I noticed were the attractive wood stocked rifles they had on display. I never did shoot any Ruger rifles. I spent my time Ruger's booth shooting handguns. Much as I hate to admit it. I was impressed by Ruger's DAO plastic/metal hybrid 38 revolver. The revolver had the best feeling double action trigger pull I've ever felt on a factory revolver.

Even if Savage doctored the Axis trigger, it is something relatively easy to do to improve the basic savage trigger anyway. My eyesight precludes the use of iron sights at anything but point blank range, and they tend to get in the way of scopes and add to the cost, so I don't bother with them myself.

I have an 8x57 Remington 700 classic with Williams sights and a Magnaport muzzle break that I would be willing to exchange with someone who has a 243 stainless savage (or cash equivalent). The Remington has the factory fancy stock, as well as a pepper laminate thumb hole stock which shoots much better than the factory one. And it has a Shilen trigger that fixed the 8lb pull that came from the factory and couldn't safely be adjusted.

Picture below with the factory stock

8mm-with-4-16x50-Nikon-Scope.jpg

I have an 8x57 Remington 700 classic with Williams sights and a Magnaport muzzle break that I would be willing to exchange with someone who has a 243 stainless savage (or cash equivalent). The Remington has the factory fancy stock, as well as a pepper laminate thumb hole stock which shoots much better than the factory one. And it has a Shilen trigger that fixed the 8lb pull that came from the factory and couldn't safely be adjusted.

Picture below with the factory stock

8mm-with-4-16x50-Nikon-Scope.jpg

Did you put the sights on the classic?

The original owner bought it, put the muzzle break and sights on it, then had a heart attack and could no longer participate in the sort of hunting he had done before. When he sold it to me the rifle was unfired.

The original owner bought it, put the muzzle break and sights on it, then had a heart attack and could no longer participate in the sort of hunting he had done before. When he sold it to me the rifle was unfired.

I almost had a heart attack when I saw the picture of a 700 Classic with sights. :huh: