Military Firearm Restoration Corner

More Bolt Work Ahead

CurtInAtl

The bolt I sent for handle forging for my 1916 project was a strait handled '93 bolt that I sent instead of the original for two reasons. First the handle appears to be a bit longer and second the '93 bolt is a better fit and will take less lapping to get an 80% surface fit on the lugs. Unfortunately I didn't think about the gas vent that was added to the 1916. I an pretty sure that the '93 bolt does not have the vent hole that lines up with the gas port in the left side of the receiver ring.

It appears to be just an oval shaped hole in the bolt body. I an thinking that I can put the bolt into battery then use a center punch to mark the location, drill 2 holes, and mill between them. The question I have is that I am pretty sure that this area of the bolt is hardened being that close to the lugs so is this going to be a problem?

I have never drilled into a bolt before.

Carbide endmill. No need to drill it first. Just use a center cutting endmill. Once you break thru the crust you will find its not all that hard anyway.

Don

Great, Thanks Don