Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Custom Weasver Bases

While trying to finish up another project. I found the shop that originally installed the scope mounts got the rear hole off by .030". Looks as they tried to correct it by up sizing the hole to 8-40, but still off. Since The friend of mine who owns it wanted to use a NECG back up peep sight I had laying around, I ordered some premade weaver stock from brownells. I figured no need to make something you can easily buy. Made both bases and offset the rear hole in the back base to line everything up with the bore. Didn't turn out to bad.

Don

ebay143.jpg

ebay142.jpg

ebay145.jpg

The concept of taking a block of aluminum or steel and turning it into something useful just fascinates the hell out of me.

I can do it with wood and I guess if you get right down to it, in concept, milling aluminum is really not much different than shaping wood with a router. Of coarse, like they say, the devil is in the details.

Steel is the same too. Just a lot less material removed per pass. Nice thing about the steel weaver stock I got is that the dovetails are cut but no sighting groove or cross slots. Gives you the option to do whatever you like. Instead of doing the tradtional flat bottomed sighting groove I thought the half moon would be different.

Don