Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Finally Got My -06 Done, Almost

Been about 6 years but I finally got my .30-06 on a 1909 action done. Stock didn't come out as good as I hoped but alot better than my last couple. Now I just need my scope to come back from Leupold service and I can see how she does.

Don

ebay175.jpg

ebay176.jpg

ebay182.jpg

ebay183.jpg

ebay186.jpg

Been about 6 years but I finally got my .30-06 on a 1909 action done.......

That's one very fine-looking Mauser.

I especially like the wood details where you transition from the girth about the mag well to a more slender features on either end and the proportions are excellent as well. Your bolt jobs sure look nice too.

Jeff I can't take credit for theat bolt job. It was done Rod about a year before I got my TIG machine. Probaby 5-6 years ago. As for the stock my layout was good but I lost a little of the sharpness on those transitions. But I've seen worse, I've done worse.

Don

looks good. can you take a few close up of the rear sight?

Removable back up peep. I made it the same as talley does, except to fit the smaller dovetails of the PME ring I'm using. The apeture is from a local shop, can't remember what I paided but under $20. I also have one with the fiber optic dots on each side of the ring.

Don

ebay175-1.jpg

ebay176-1.jpg

ebay177-1.jpg

ebay178-1.jpg

Very nice. I'd be darned proud of myself if I could do as well.

Are you going to have it checkered?

Yes Winston Elrod is going to do it for me. Probably in the next few weeks. I told him nothing fancy, just a std 4 panel point pattern. He'll come up with something great I'm sure. I think I will drop it off this weekend. He told me 4 hours, hows that for turn aroud, it will take me 3 to drive back in forth. Of course his checkering will put my stockwork to shame.

Don

• 4 weeks later...

Well still haven't shot the thing. Got a call from leupold today, the scope can't be fixed so they ordered me a new one. Funny thing is I didn't know it was broke, I sent it in to be retro fit threaded for the caps. Now they are sending me a new one and I don't need to pay for the threading service since the new ones are already threaded. Funny how stuff works out, it was and 1982 model. Now more waiting, I might have to pull the scope off my 270 and play musical scopes.

Don

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

What kind of finish do you have on that metal Don? Where did your stock come from? That is a beautiful rifle I agree with Ken I'd be happy If I can someday do one that looks half that good.

Matt

What kind of finish do you have on that metal Don? Where did your stock come from? That is a beautiful rifle I agree with Ken I'd be happy If I can someday do one that looks half that good.

Matt

The metal was hot blued by Bill Jacobs (clemson on this site) and the stack was a highly modified richards here is a pic before I remove a few pounds of wood. BTW so far it shoots about 1" groups with 52 grains of IMR4350 behind a 180 gr nosler partition. Still tweeting the load but not bad for a $69 barrel.

Thanks,

Don

stockhelp003-1.jpg

stockhelp004.jpg

• 7 months later...

OMG!! Terrific checkering job. If you weren't quite satisfied with the wood before. You simply have to be beyond pleased, it is a real beauty. After you get it sighted in, take it loon hunting.

If I'm not being to nosey, you don't have to answer if you don't care to. How much was the checkering job?

EDIT: I just re-read your post. Like a Playboy magazine. I went straight to the pictures and didn't bother to read. Do you have any idea what he would charge to do a job similar to yours.

I don't know for checkering only, I think he charges like $4500 to completely stock a rifle. I know more than I can afford. You should see my Win88 that he refinished and recut the checkering. That used to be my brush gun, I need to rethink that now. I'll get some pics up in the next few days. That one cost me a couple bolt jewelling and a surface grinding job.

Don

• 1 month later...