Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Learning On A Cracked Stock

drgoose

I pulled this stock of a Turk on which I am working. I have no interest on using but since I have it I might as well learn something useful on it. I will eventually sand it and refinish it just for the practice and will probably bed and action on it for the same purpose but I am interested in finding out how to deal with the crack that is running longitudinally from the trigger hole through the tang. Im thinking opening up the crack a little and pouring either cyanoacrylate or acra glass.

Thanks

drgoose.

Untitled.jpg

That's a really tough crack. One thing that you could do would be to put a "dovetail key" in the crack. You have to be a good woodworker to do it well. If it was a nice piece of lumber that's what a craftsman would do. I don't know how you would effectively get glue in there.

That's a really tough crack. One thing that you could do would be to put a "dovetail key", or, "butterfly key" in the crack. It spans the crack. You have to be a good woodworker to do it well. If it was a nice piece of lumber that's what a craftsman would do. I don't know how you would effectively get glue in there.

You can use cyanoacrylate. As a carver and woodworker, here is what I would do: go to hobby shop and buy a bottle of the really thin cyano along with a spray bottle of instaset or "Zipkicker" . Clean up the surface of the crack on both sides by sanding and use of acetone to clean it up further (oil is not an impediment). Attempt to draw the crack together as best you can with some clamps. Now run a generous bead of the cyano on one side of the crack, let it penetrate, then kick it with the spray stuff. Do the same on the other side. It works well, and will stabilize the crack, but will probably not completely hide the crack.

• 1 month later...

I use acra-glas to repair cracks like this. If I can spread the crack a small amount I do so and apply the acra-glas with a toothpick. If the crack is visible on the inside where it won't show I'll drill a series of 3/32-1/8" holes through the crack about 3/4 of the way through to the outside. These holes are less than an inch apart and, as I said do not go all the way through. I pour acra-glas into the hole and using the back end of the bit I used to drill the hole I force the acra-glas into the hole. I pull the bit out and do it again with more acra-glas using the bit like a mini pump to force glass out through the crack in all directions. Even the smallest cracks can be glued in this manner. For the last push I use a piece of wood dowel the same size as the drill bit. This plugs the hole and provides additional strength. This method works best with the original acra-glas that is very thin. It can also work with the acra-glas gel but requires a bit more patience. This gun may be a prime candidate for a cross pin available from Midway USA. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/752327/talley-crossbolt-for-magnum-rifle-stock-steel-in-the-white RD