Military Firearm Restoration Corner

The Last Of My Israeli 7.62S...

rustvyper

Well...she looks good, but got me stumped on accuracy. The rifle is definetly MOD (minute of deer). I can get 2 - 2.5" groups out of her at 100 yards. I'm a little stumped. I've never had a rifle build that was more than 1" moa right off the bat.

It's not bedded yet, but the barrel is floated & the action pillared. My test environment wasn't the best. Shooting in the sun in the las Vegas desert with Walmart brand federal cheapo 150gr. Still...a little disappointed.

Scope mount was solid. Any suggestions?

Try a different weight of bullet or different brand of ammunition?

Try some handloads with Sierra or Speer bullets?

Try a different scope?

Put a pad under the barrel at the fore end tip? A business card or two might work.

Is the mount solid? Screws could be bottomed-out. The scope tube might be rigid enough to hide a loose base.

Glass Bedding.

I am not an "expert" but I have worked a few military mauser with synthetic stock and the one thing I have found is they do better when the action is glassed in good and solid and the forearm floated. For me at least, fiberglass in all its forms tends seems to bend and move a little under recoil without bedding. My experience anyway, James

• 2 weeks later...

Count this as the umpteenth time I've relearned the life lesson, "it never pays to be lazy." I was out of bedding compound & didn't want to order more since we are moving. But the performance I complained about above & everyone's obvious advice, I ordered, bedded & reshot...viola! Problem solved!

First 3 shots - cold barrel @100m. Second shot went through the same hole, always an encouraging sign. :)

photo.JPG

Second 3 - you can see the group open up and arch left as the barrel heats up.

photo.JPG

This was not premium ammo, just run of the mill 150gr Remington core-loks.

Thanks for all the advice guys! She's ready for gun season now.

• 1 year later...