Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Carcano Rifles

swamprat

Need info on Carcano rifles other than Kennedy Killers. I just received a Carcano carbine with no import marks and all matching numbers. This is what those guys from the picker show call farm fresh. This rifle has not had a great deal of care for many years but is still in pretty good shape. How does the saftey work on this rifle? I can't get it to move! It will fire in present position. Is there a site for Carcano's?

Thanks,

Swamprat

Swampie my Carcano and I parted company several years ago so I might be wrong. I believe you press the safety forward and turn it either right or left. If you didn't get any clips with it don't be surprised at the cost. Last one I saw for sale was about 5 bux. If by chance you got a WW2 model converted to 8MM DO NOT shoot it with surplus or factory ammo. The only safe way if it is converted is to handload mild loads. If your Carcano is in original military condition, the nose cap and bayonet lug is probably worth as much as the rifle itself. I searched for years to locate the part. The few I came across the prices were beyond ridicules. I paid about 30 bux for my Carcano and bayonet in the mid-70's. The bayonet sheath got left behind in a divorce but I still managed to get about 55 for the bayonet alone.

If you got the 735 version you can not safely shoot 30 cal bullets. The Carcano's bore if I'm not mistaken is a true 30 caliber measuring .30.00 unlike our .308. Hornady does (or did) make the proper sized bullet. Do gather as much information as possible before handloading. The Carcano's action was weak even by WW2 standards. I know my 6.5 version had progressive rifling. Why I don't have the slightest idea but can speculate some Italian engineer must have learned his trade from the black powder era.

Good Luck with your new acquisition, I'll be awaiting a range report.

Thanks for the info. The saftey does work by pushing forward it just took some lube to get it freed up. This is the 6.5 version and in my collection of odd ball things I found 3 charging clips and 5 rds of ammo. The stock has a bad age crack so I don't know how soon I'll get to fixing it. Will probably just hang it on the wall with my other missfit toys.

Swamprat