Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Rusty Tc Renegade Bore

ronploude

After 30 years of none use, I extracted my TC 54 caliber Renegade from its gun case only to find a heavy layer of rust in the bore. There is one heavy rust spot on the outside that I can clean up, although, I am sure it will leave slight pitting. :(

I would appreciate advice as to how to save this barrel. There is no breach plug that I can see so any rust removal treatment will probably have to be done from the muzzle. If the group's conclusion is that such damage is irreparable, then I will consider replacing the barrel.

Is there a distributor or barrel manufacturer that deals in TC hooked breach barrels?

Ron

I've been using a product called " Evap-o-rust" or "Evaporust"

not quite sure of the spelling.

If you plugged the flash hole you could fill the barrel and let it work.

After about a week all the rust should be gone.

Of course the bore may be pretty rough at that point

In one of my gunsmithing books ( I've used the method ) it talks of wrapping

steel wool into a bore brush and honing the bore that way.

You'd want to do that until it at least felt fairly smooth as you pushed and pulled

the brush through.

I did this on some mill surplus 8mm barrels. not the greatest accuracy, but they didn't

blow up because the bullet seized.

So where will you be getting balls for your new 56 cal Renegade?

Tinker

Tinker,

I Goggled EVAPO-RUST and went to the company's website. It sounds like an excellent product that will meet my needs. The solution is neither acidic nor alkaline and is biodegradable. As a bonus, I found that it is available from Harbor Freight. There is a store on my way home from work so I can stop in tomorrow evening and pick some up.

The only thing that I have to be careful with is the outside of the barrel. According to the EVAPO-RUST website, it does remove bluing. Should I end up removing some bluing around the muzzle, I'll cold blue the area affected and do the best I can at matching the current bluing. At the least, I'll have a usable muzzle loader again.

Thanks for the EVAPO-RUST recommendation.

Ron

After 30 years of none use, I extracted my TC 54 caliber Renegade from its gun case only to find a heavy layer of rust in the bore. There is one heavy rust spot on the outside that I can clean up, although, I am sure it will leave slight pitting. :(

I would appreciate advice as to how to save this barrel. There is no breach plug that I can see so any rust removal treatment will probably have to be done from the muzzle. If the group's conclusion is that such damage is irreparable, then I will consider replacing the barrel.

Is there a distributor or barrel manufacturer that deals in TC hooked breach barrels?

Green Mountain makes barrels for your gun if it won't clean up well. There a bit pricey i feel, at $150 and some change last time i checked.

Brenden