Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Anything For A South Paw?

I'm wanting to get into hobby gun smithing (read: "I'm a noob please help"), however I'm running into a very annoying problem. I can't find anything that is inexpensive for a south paw like me. :blink: I've shot a lot of right handed guns and I don't have a problem doing this but I would like to find an inexpensive lefty bolt action that I can fix up and have some learning fun with. I know I could always buy a right handed gun and be done with it, but I would prefer a lefty. Mostly because I never had one, also because I don't have $700 - $1,200 to slam down on a brand new lefty Rem 700 or [place brand name here] rifle. Besides whats the point in buying a brand new rifle, no fun in that.

Any suggestions on what to get and where?

Thanks.

probably the two most abundant and inexpensive used actions worthy of building on are the Savage and Rem 700.

I have a left hand action Weatherby and Ranger Arms,but have shot right hand guns so long,I prefer them.Me thinks you orta get a Savage Lft. action and get it out of your system.Roy Weatherby built Ronald Reagan a custom left hand rifle when he became president,and when it was presented to Mr. Reagan,he said,''it's a beautiful rifle and thanks so much,but why's it backwards".

Welcome to the Board,and keep us informed on what you decide. Jerry

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a savage or Rem 700.

In the mean time I'll grab something else, at least I can learn from it and have some fun.

Another action that's not as inexpensive but is certainly nice, is the MRC 1999 action. I went with one for a customer for two reasons: 1) It's CRF and available left handed 2) It was available in SS. He wanted a SS lefty CRF action. The action is a hybrid Mauser/Model 70. Really nice for the money.

Reportedly Charles Daly made some left handed commercial M98 actions, in both chromoley and Stainless Steel.

I recall seeing them advertized on their web site. If you do a search you may be able to locate one (or two) :P

• 2 weeks later...

I checked the Charles Daly site, didn't see anything on there. I guess they no longer make them.

Thanks for all the suggestions, now I know what to look for at my next gun show.

I checked the Charles Daly site, didn't see anything on there. I guess they no longer make them.

Thanks for all the suggestions, now I know what to look for at my next gun show.

Charles Daly used to be the U.S. importer for Zastava until Remington stole the deal away.

Now Remington is no longer importing them and I'm not sure if anyone has picked up the line.

Edit: I found this old advertizement http://www.charlesdaly.com/newsletter/feb04/feb04email.html

But could not find any new info.

Kenny