Military Firearm Restoration Corner

.338-06 Guild Gun

z1r

Hey Everyone.

A client of mine just posted some pics of a rifle I helped him complete:

The story in his words:

"Hey Guy's, I can knock one more off the list now. I just got the barreled action back from Mike McCabe and it's about perfect. The rifle is just a bunch of parts picked up here and there, but sum total of what they made even surprised me and was there though the whole process.

The barrel came off an old "guild" mauser and was auctioned off on Ebay. It was an 8X57J but the bore was ruined. It was sent to Jim Dubell for a re-bore. A .338-06 was chosen. Mark Stratton installed the barrel.

The action is one of those Italian made Mausers Legacy sports was selling at one time. It's called a Safari M98 Global Trading Mauser. A little rough around the edges, but they clean up real nice. A few years ago Legacy wanted out of the Mauser action business and deeply discounted these. I was able to pick it up for a song. The only thing that was done to it was a new bolt handle added. The old ones look like the old F.N.'s. They were nice, but I wanted something different on this rifle. Mike McCabe added this one.

The stock blank came from from Luxus Walnut. Adam of at Luxus put me in a far nicer piece of walnut than I should got for what I spent. He explained it was a "second" and couldn't get full price for it because of a bark pocket it had that probably wouldn't turn out. Shane Thompson turned the blank and worked real hard to miss as much as possible. He couldn't miss everything, what he couldn't miss he layed it out where it would be easy to fix. It turned out very nice. An almost local guy named Tim Lyon-Smith checkered it for me.

Major credit goes to Mike McCabe on this project. He changed the bolt handle, rust blued the barreled action.

Well, here is how it turned out. I'm very happy with it.

Terry"

.338-06%20032_1.JPG

.338-06%20017.JPG

A little more info. The bolt handle was originally installed by someone else and was a really poor job. It wouldn't clear a scope and looked like it was shaped with a grinder. The checkered handle cost him over $100 alone. So, he asked me if I could salvage it. It looked like this when I got it: DSC00324-1.jpg

I cut it off, cleaned out the inclusions and voids, and then re-attached it. Because of the material the first guy removed there was only so much I could do. it is a little thinner than I would normally like but he was pleased as punch with how it turned out.

.338-06%20031.JPG

beauty mike. where is the repair on the stock? i have a high figure blank with a bark pocket that will most likely end up right at the top of the comb. i was thinking about just black epoxy...

beauty mike. where is the repair on the stock? i have a high figure blank with a bark pocket that will most likely end up right at the top of the comb. i was thinking about just black epoxy...

Here's the link to his post with more pics including the blemish in the wood. http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/fo...043/m/255105468

I didn't want to bog down this site with too many pics. That rifle turned out really nice considering the amalgamation of parts.

Nice rifle to say the least. Typical high quality workmanship coming from Z. As much as I adore the English red stock, I was really glad to see Mikes rust blue in such a good photograph. I love it - must save my pennys!

Here's what tery had to say about fixing the bark pocket: "Shane sent back some bandsaw scraps of the blank after it was turned. I picked a nice piece and chiseled it out and then shaped it with a Dremmal tool so it would fit tight in the bark pocket, After that I mixed up some Miles Gilbert bedding compound, flooded the bark pocket with it and then pushed the patch in. I let it cure and sanded it flat. I think it's pretty good."

new%20stock%20pics%20011.JPG

006.JPG

For the record, that is how I've accomplished the same task Any good clear epoxy or acraglass type product will suffice.