Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Rebarreling 1888 Commission Rifle

dadio

one of my 88's has a sleeve that just covers the threads on the end of the receiver.

the other 88' i have has a swede 6.5 barrel and the original stub of the barrel jacket was cut off just in front of the boss for the front triggergaurd screw and the barrel shank was turned down to fit inside the section from the barrel shroud.

most of the really nice 88 sporters i've seen had a sleeve on the external receiver threads and the front triggergaurd screw was just threaded into a bushing in the stock with a for end wedge actually holding the front of the rifle in the stock.

one of my 88's has a sleeve that just covers the threads on the end of the receiver.

-could the part of an original barrel sleeve that threads to the external threads be used if only that part was installed over the threads?

I mean for example, could the threaded portion of the sleeve be cut from the entire sleeve and used to cover the external receiver threads and look good.

thanx.

What I have is an 88 receiver w/bolt/no bolthead from Old West Scrounger. It's in decent shape, marked on receiver "S" at the witness mark over "Œ" over "WG" over "STEYR" over "1890". Looks to have been modified to take stripper clips, with a notch in the receiver to accommodate a longer cartridge(?) and a shallow notch slightly obliterating the "Gew.88." on the left rail of the action- like a thumb cut.

I understand boltheads are hard to come by.

here are a couple pics of mine.

the 6.5 swede barreled 88 with the front section of the barrel shroud

gew88top.jpg

another with just the threaded section from the barrel shroud.

cghaenelreceiver.jpg

i have a octagon 8mm barrel from a cg haenel 88 sporting rifle with a bad bore that i'm going to install on this rifle after i have it bored out to 9mm.

here are a couple pics of mine.

the 6.5 swede barreled 88 with the front section of the barrel shroud

gew88top.jpg

another with just the threaded section from the barrel shroud.

cghaenelreceiver.jpg

i have a octagon 8mm barrel from a cg haenel 88 sporting rifle with a bad bore that i'm going to install on this rifle after i have it bored out to 9mm.

Thank you for this information. Both rifles very nice- I'm partial to the sporters and carbines. Is the rifle in the top photo blued, or some other metal coating? I'm thinking with the condition of my receiver it might be wise to use a duracoat type finish.

Here's what I'm dealing with- I could save myself some trouble and replace the safety and bolt release as both are pitted quite a bit more than the overall condition of the receiver.

1888_steyr_90a.jpg

The markings on the receiver ring are in good shape and clear, I'd like to figure some way to save them.

Thanks again.

20 February:

Rapid progress :)

Got something to keep it in today -

88stk.jpg

88stk2.jpg