Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Stock

SOUTHPAW

I was thinking about ordering a stock from GREAT AMERICAN GUNSTOCKS out of ca. I was wanting a sock for a 98 with raised side panels schnabel front crescent rear small cheek piece read some bad reports on other people ordering from them wondering if you all had any dealings with them

like most mass produced semi-inlets, the fit and finish will vary wildly. I've had friends & clients who have been happy, some not so, and some both.

I have one of those stocks for a Steyr 95 and there is way too much material. You will be rasping for a while to get the slim stock you want. Better than too little wood but, be aware that it is not drop in by any means.

i have bought 4 stocks from their bargain section & i think i got a great deal on all of them. the inletting was very close on all of them & their faults were well described, ussualy just small drying checks. i check their bargain section about once a week

• 2 weeks later...

I have one of the raised panel, schnauble nosed, 95 percent inlet M98 stocks you can have for $50 plus $12 S&H. I don't know if it's one of the older Fajens or a Guns of America. It appears almost completely inlet for a military barrel without rear sight, barrel channel could be opened up for a commercial barrel. I bought it from a reformed gun nut and stuffed a Gew98 Oberndorf into it, very little inletting left to do at least with my barreled action. I'll never finish this one up, hoping someone would, plain wood with no figure but a pretty good price. Barreled action not included, or I'd buy it from myself at that price. Bill

I've only bought one stock from Great American but it was custom order and I whole heardly recomend them. The owner Henry Pohl is the grandson of E C Bishop who had the Bishop Gun Stock company in Warsaw, Mo. riceone.