Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Mauser Variant Questions

odies dad

I picked up another 98 at a pawn shop today. This one has some different stuff on it that I have never seen.

Can anyone ID what this started its life as?

The buttstock is a 2 piece like an Arisaka. It has a dovetail joint to hold it together. It had the sling swivel on the side of the buttstock, but it has been filled. It has no crest, but doesn't looked scrubbed. It has a 3 digit serial number on the left side but nothing on the side rail. The rear sight doesn't have any hand guard hold down relief or screw hole. It is stamped 8MM on the side of the rear sight base. The front sight has ears. I have never seen this on a Mauser. They appear to be origional. The bolt serial number doesn't match and is the slow arc style. The action is very smooth cycling. It has a finger groove forend with a regular style triggerguard and floorplate with capture screws but no serial numbers.

328935959.jpg

328935883.jpg

328935815.jpg

328935706.jpg

Any ideas? I got it for $110 with a decent sling. The bore is frosty but the rifling looks good. The stock is OK for a cut down.

Pulled the action out of the stock and it has a different serial number underneath. Barrel and receiver numbers match. It also has Z zero (0 with a line through it) WGKMA stamped around the chamber end of the barrel. It also has a O with a Z or N inside on both the receiver and the barrel.

Reminds me most of a Polish Mauser.

Is it a Small Ring 98 or LR? All those pics of the receiver make it hard to tell. :lol:

It is a large ring 98.

I don't recall ever seeing a Polish Mauser.

I may try taking some more pictures of the receiver later if you think it will help, but there isn't much on it that gave me any clues.

The stock is polish. You can see the wooden dowel in front of the trigger guard that the Poles put in place on all stocks to prevent the web internal to the stock between the magazine well and the trigger well from spliting. A common split in old Mauser stocks.

The scrubbed receiver indicates that this Polish Mauser was sold to the Spanish.

Vlad