Military Firearm Restoration Corner

How To Feel Like A Total Klutz!

AzRednek

After dozing off watching TV I crawled out of bed half asleep and headed to the shower. First thing I noticed was my dog apparently knocked the bottle of liquid soap spilling a bunch on the bottom of the tub. I very carefully stepped in tub, holding on to a towel rack after turning on the shower. Once in I intended to aim the shower head toward the soap and rinse it down the drain. Then I saw this

P1010016_zpsvoqkaaz8.jpg

Without my glasses on and sleepy eyed, I thought it was a snake!!

In a panic to get out I slipped in the soap, falling and bruising my tail bone. No snake it was a hair band my dog must have chewed apart and left it in the tub.

It didn't end there after the slip and fall. A few hours later in the middle of the night about 2 or 3:00AM. My dog started loudly and very viciously barking and growling. As I slowly awakened my dog hit the back door so hard he knocked the curtain rod down. Half asleep I thought somebody had kicked in my door. I literally jumped out of bed preparing for a fight for my life, spraining my ankle and falling again on my tail bone. After struggling to get up and get up fast to deal with the perceived threat. Once I was up I thought my gun. As I stepped back to my nightstand, grabbed my 38. I turned around and tripped over the dog, falling again and spraining my wrist. Sometime during the ordeal I also injured my shoulder.

Between the loud barking and pain I was fully awake. There was no bad guy!! There were two cats on my driveway right by my side door apparently screwing and loudly singing. I was so wound up unable to sleep I swiped one of my wife's dopey pills. Despite every bone in my body hurting I slept like a baby but felt like I had lost a fist fight with a seven foot gorilla when I woke up. For the next few days I had to use a walker just to get around the house or out of bed to take a leak. I was never so glad I saved some of my HD pain killers from my chemo days. After double dosing aspirin, Motrin and Tylenol all I got was a stomach ache.

I got the report today from the X-rays, fortunately nothing broke but after a routine visit with my neurologist she scheduled an MRI wanting a better look at my tailbone. Years ago as a teen I fractured my tailbone during football practice. Hopefully it is just old scar tissue.

Age stinks brother!

You got that right!! No way will I ever attempt to fight an attacker. At 64 years old, I'm chicken. If it had been a real bad guy, not an imagined one. I should have let my dog handle it, blocked bedroom door and dialed 911. Younger, in perfect health standing over 6'4" and weighing between 230-240. I could handle myself but not anymore. I'm sure I'll be getting a good ribbing or ass chewing from my Physical therapist.

Yep..I have a lot more fun at 25 : )

karl

Yes indeed!! Not only way more fun. At 25 I still had the mindset of a teenager. Thought I was unbreakable. Remember to good ol'days of being able to go to work on a couple hours of sleep, hung over and an Alka Seltzer seemed to be the cure-all for a wild night of drinking and partying. I need to pick up the trail of Ponce Deleon and drink from his magic fountain.

I'm short so I never was the big gorilla in the crowd, unless it was kids. I do see some advantages to being short from time to time. You can sleep in the back seat of a truck, and you don't hit the roof when you go over bumps in the road.

I tend to avoid physical conflict and carry a side arm instead.

I learned, almost the hard way I'm not 25 and can't throw my weight around anymore. At a stoplight I flipped off and chewed out an illegal alien for cutting me off in traffic. He got out of his pickup, raised his fists yelling something in Spanish. Realizing I'd get my butt kicked I stepped on the gas, running a red light. My wife then gave me a "you're not young anymore lecture". Between the chemo and age I've lost almost two inches of height and no longer have a lean frame.

Neurosurgeon told me in 07 " Your fighting days are over! If you get into a physical confrontation you may end up a quad in a chair." so I said "then I'll just have to shoot'em then".

Ain't going to end up in a chair if I can help it. Just had to learn I wasn't 27 anymore.

Don't feel bad or alone AZ, I do the same chit around here every once in a while. Sometimes it looks like the 3 Stooges when the old lady and I are working on a DIY project.

Neurosurgeon told me in 07 " Your fighting days are over! If you get into a physical confrontation you may end up a quad in a chair." so I said "then I'll just have to shoot'em then".

Ain't going to end up in a chair if I can help it. Just had to learn I wasn't 27 anymore.

Don't feel bad or alone AZ, I do the same chit around here every once in a while. Sometimes it looks like the 3 Stooges when the old lady and I are working on a DIY project.

I'm probably going to look for another neurologist. When I briefly described the mis-hap she remarked something about me being a violent, confrontational type person and "the gun" causes more problems than it solves. True if I hadn't stepped back for my revolver there wouldn't have been a third fall. She never considered if there had been a real attacker bold enough to kick in my door and I faced him without a gun. It would have been more than a sprained wrist. She also asked me if I were the one that left a magazine in her rack named Women & Guns. She also prescribed over my objection but I didn't fill it. Some kind of feel good anti depressant.

My first visit with her she went through my medical history and previous injuries. Some of the previous injuries and a 1975 brain injury in particular were related to fights. With the gun control advocates slowly sneaking in more restrictions in background checks. I sure as hell don't need a Dr labeling me as a violent person taking feel-good pills in my medical records.