Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Store Check

Dr.Hess

So I stopped by Cabelas to look around. Powder was available, but the selection was somewhat sparse. Primers available. One Mosin-Nagant, $400!! It was nice, I suppose, for a Mosin and made in 1954, but not that nice. One 1942 Turk 98 K Kale, $200, beat, very little bluing and non-matching bolt. There was an Interarms MKX 7x57 for about $2500. A nice looking commercial Mauser for about the same in 30-06, I think. A Spanish Mauser in 308 with a nice sporter stock, $500. New Century AK's: $750. That was about it. The rest was just commercial stuff.

Saw a Taurus 1911 for about $600-ish. A lot cheaper on grab-a-gun (like <$500) but that thing was loaded with bells and whistles. Rail, stippling, trigger, bump on the grip safety (I think that's useless, but it's the latest "must have," whatever), etc. I think if someone was looking for a 1911, one of those would be hard to beat.

Paying for the stuffed animals and waterfalls at Cabellas makes them crazy on the prices! I stopped at one on my trip up north, and was shocked at the prices. Even the clearance stuff was too high. I'm glad I pigged out on guns, ammo, and reloading while Bush was in office, and stuff was cheap!

All prices are up. Way up. And not just boom stick related stuff. We don't eat meat, but "they" tell me that hamburger is out of sight now.

Anyway, I think Cabelas does tend to be high on a lot of stuff, but not that high. Last year, they had Mosin's in the sub-$150 range. Their powders are not too bad, especially if you consider the haz-mat fee if you buy it mail order. Cheaper than gun show prices too, for that matter. I think most of their handguns are under MSRP. They had a pair of gold titanium finish Desert Eagles for about $1500 ea, which is a pretty good price for a store.

Back when Cabela's was a mail order house they were a good place to do business. Now they are all about lables and whose name is on your fancy camo under pants.

Think I'm like Doc. I like going into Cabelas, Sportsman's Warehouse, Dicks and similar stores look around but rarely buy anything. In my neck of the woods Sportsmans has the best prices, guns especially but still cheaper to shop via the net and order through an FFL I do not care for the some of the sales clerks at Cabelas. Seems like I go through it every Dove season. The on sale shotgun shells are hidden and when I ask for directions. The sales clerks, likely at Cabelas mgmt. instructions try their best to steer me toward higher priced shells. Often I have to simply get rude and demand the location of the on sale shells. Easy to do after they insult my intelligence speaking of patterns, shot size etc.

I looked seriously at the Taurus 1911. Taurus and one other 1911 manufacture are the only ones made with forged frames and slides. When I won the Friend's of NRA raffle and got to select a gun from their chart. I selected the plane Jane stainless Taurus 1911. I had to pick a back-up, chose the blue steel Remington 1911 and that is what arrived. To my delight and surprise the Remmy came with a $50.00 rebate. After getting a trigger job I'm totally satisfied with the Remington and I'll be long gone before the investment cast frame and slide wear out. The Smith that did my 1911 trigger claimed the only downside to the Taurus 1911's are the quality of the springs. The gunsmith claimed Taurus is the only 1911 manufacture that does not out source its spring manufacture. Might or might not be true. The smith might have some spring kits for sale.

• 3 weeks later...

Went again a couple days ago. The Turk and Yugo were still there. The Spanish in 308 was gone. A Mosin or two (probably the same ones) and that was about it for the milsurps. That $2500 7mm was gone too. They actually had a pretty good turnover. Even a gold anodized Desert Eagle in 50AE was no longer in the case, and it has been there for months. The 44MAG one was still there.

I did see 3 Star Super B's for $250 ea. That seems like a pretty good deal today. I was kinda tempted.

Picked up a pound of H110, which will work in any of the magnum rounds my DE shoots.

Yeah, there's that. What if you need a firing pin or an extractor? But on the other hand, it is a good Browning design and they were well made, so if it is in good working order now, I will probably never shoot it out. I was thinking along the lines of "car gun" but I am pretty well covered there already, so I don't really have a use for one. I think that if I was at a gun show with cash in hand, I probably would have bought one.

Yeah, good point. These were very far from NIB. More like very used and probably fire. Pretty sure Cabella's would not sell something that was dangerous.

I bought a brand new Helwan. It still needed work. Once that was done, it has been fantastic.

Doc if you want a cheapie car gun you wont be out big bucks if stolen. I carry a Makarov I have about a buck and a quarter into. For years I carried a 1917 Brazilian surplus S&W revolver chambered in 45ACP on moon clips. Carried until I had a OMG moment after discovering the value. With my 80's FFL I paid 80 something a piece. I sprang for a dozen and a half, sold them for a decent profit but cheery picked two of the best for myself.

a-1917-2.jpg

Yeah, the Mak's are interesting, but I really don't need another caliber. I don't have anything 9x18. I now have one 44MAG and one 50AE, one 7x57 and that's bad enough. I know ammo is cheap for a 9x18, but I don't want to add another SKU to my supply chain. The Star Modelo B's are 9x19.

They also had a Colt 1911 22 cal for $500. I've seen ads for that in a Gold Cup edition for under three hundred in SGN, but it was at CDN. I thought real hard about that one too. That's one that is only going up in value.