Military Firearm Restoration Corner

J&g Has Yugo K98's

AzRednek

Email ad claims WW2 surplus rebuilt by Yugos after the war. No details of exactly what "rebuilt" means. My guess and it is only speculation. The Yugos likely did the same as the Russian. Fixing or replacing only what ever was necessary. I doubt they all got new barrels or were re-lined as some of the South American Mausers.

I'm not planning a trip to J&G, apx a 75-90 minute drive from my home. If I do find myself in that neck of the woods I will likely stop and take a look. I like visiting J&G but have a problem with buyer's remorse. After one trip buying considerably more than I intended. Went with a shooting bud planning to split a lot of Greek 06 on M-1 clips. I also wound up with a mint Nagant carbine, spam can of 762X54R and a police trade-in S&W revolver. When I returned the next time. I deliberately left all my plastic at home.

If you decide to call and inquire about the Mausers. Do call during weekdays and not on the weekend. Weekends the place is packed and you wont get much attention and be rushed by the sales person.

http://www.jgsales.com/-p-65309.html

Very interesting video AzRedneck, thanks for posting.

I remember back when the Turk 8mm ammo hit the market with stripper clips and bandoleers, @ $60 a thousand, and I got 2 cases. I sold a bunch and shot some, even broke some down for components. I'm hanging on to some full bandoleers for posterity.

Spiris

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I saw turk ammo at a gun show was abound 2012..the guy wanted $70 a bando..Granted it was the better stuff in the blue bando but still...I had gotten that retail for 6 bucks in 04. Still have some of the bullets I pulled left.

karl

I saw the ad about the GEW 98's. As long as the metalwork is not pitted, that action is generally MUCH better machined than the WWII K98's. They are the action of choice for me for builds that don't involve high pressure or magnum cartridges.

Bill Jacobs

Most of my Turk bandos got shot up taking 4 of my Mausers out with my neighbor's son and his ROTC classmates to the range. It was well worth it as the teenagers really enjoyed themselves. A couple of students had only handled and marched with dewat Springfields and never shot a firearm. Naturally they all wanted to just shoot my M-1 and 03 but I didn't have that much 06 ammo so we fried hundreds of 8MM.

• 2 weeks later...

I was hesitant at first buying the Turk 8MM. Back in the 70's, two shooting buds and myself combined our order and bought a bunch of Turk 7.65. It was by far the most dangerous stuff I've handled. No exaggeration, nearly every round that wasn't a dud, hang-fired. We learned how fast we could operate the bolt ejecting the duds. Never did have a mis-hap but it was scary rapidly ejecting the duds.

After our shooting sessions we'd use battery terminal cleaner down the bore to neutralize the acidic residue. The cleaner would normally turn pink in color indicating a reaction to the acidic residue. After shooting the Turk ammo the battery cleaner violently foamed.

Gotta admit though the Turk 8MM was good ammo. Best I recall only a couple of duds and best of all no hang-fires.

I recall it at $ 4 a bando and .06 a round by the case.. : )

CHEAPER than I could reload..I would take two or three mausers and fire a couple of hundred rounds a trip. Nice.

Mausers were $ 100 ...and 5fors ???

karl

• 1 month later...

I was hesitant at first buying the Turk 8MM. Back in the 70's, two shooting buds and myself combined our order and bought a bunch of Turk 7.65. It was by far the most dangerous stuff I've handled. No exaggeration, nearly every round that wasn't a dud, hang-fired. We learned how fast we could operate the bolt ejecting the duds. Never did have a mis-hap but it was scary rapidly ejecting the duds.

After our shooting sessions we'd use battery terminal cleaner down the bore to neutralize the acidic residue. The cleaner would normally turn pink in color indicating a reaction to the acidic residue. After shooting the Turk ammo the battery cleaner violently foamed.

Gotta admit though the Turk 8MM was good ammo. Best I recall only a couple of duds and best of all no hang-fires.

I got some, and pulled it apart. I found at least one that had black powder in it.