Not Good News

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AzRednek

AzRednek
  • Members
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:31 PM

I'm bringing this up as a new topic. I had one bite the dust today at the range. A long story but I managed to drop the scope last night as I was preparing for a morning at the range. Between dropping it and shooting off of a Lead Sled the Chinese scope died.

In a way I'm fortunate it died when it did. I'm being indecisive about which rifle to take deer hunting next weekend. I installed the scope at the range, bore sighted, 50 yards, 100 yards then moved it to 200. I set the 35 Whelen to go about 2 and a half high at 100 and two shots at 200 were nearly dead on. I was shooting 200gr handloads then loaded in factory 250gr to see the difference at 200. First shot a couple inches low and the second shot all I saw was a blur. Seems I had problems with the first shot with 250gr getting the eye relief right and had to adjust the eye piece to bring it back into focus. I shot it two more times via the ironsighter scope mounts and afterward nothing but a blur and I couldn't see the reticles. I have 6 of the Leupold clones, shot 3 other rifles today with the same type of scope today without any problems. Strange that the rifle with the least amount of recoil is the one that died. Today I shot 7MM, 300 and 338 mags. The 338's scope mounts came loose but after tightening it up. The zero was only a 4 or 5 clicks off but it appears I didn't get it level. So it will be back into the back yard in a rifle rest and bubble levels.

About a week ago my son and I shot his 300 Win mag off of a Lead Sled and his scope mounts came loose. I'm beginning to have my doubts about the Lead Sleds being rough on rifles. I've seen various gun board posting with tales of cracked stocks, loose scopes and screws backing out. As with a lot of internet chatter it is often "a friend of mine" and most mis-haps I've read about was somebody relaying what happened to somebody else. If I can find it I will post a 2-3 year old picture of my cracked stock shooting off of a Lead Sled. I blamed it originally on loose screws but possibly it was a combination of the Lead Sled and loose screws.    

AA-crack-2.jpg

#2 karlunity

karlunity
  • Admin
  • 5,558 posts
  • Interests:The United States
    History
    Old firearms

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

Hello Az
Googled the "lead sled'.
I have no experience with them, but keeping that in mind, the picture I saw seem to show the rifle locked in place. If that is so, then the recoil or the force of the recoil has no place to rock back to and all of it may be transmitted into that scope.
The scope may have been weakened when you dropped the rifle and the force of the recoil may have sent it over the edge.
 That is why I gave up on scopes on all except my .22 rifle.
It was reaching the point that unless you paid more for the scope than you did for the rifle, the darn scope would just go out of alignment. Now? well if I am going to the range and want to shoot out past 300 meters, eyes not what they were at 20, I will buy a cheap scope, I have my bore sighter, and just shoot it till it ( the cheap scope) goes out of focus.
If i was hunting for a living or going on a once in a life time trip, I would get that $700 scope, but since i am not, it is not worth the money.
karl

#3 Quick Karl

Quick Karl
  • Members
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Young women, old guns, salt-water fly fishing - in that order!

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:15 AM

Vortex Viper http://www.midwayusa...c-reticle-matte

Better than a Leupold in my humble opinion.

#4 ken98k

ken98k
  • Members
  • 2,708 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Camping, Boating, Jeeps, and MAUSER rifles

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

Think of a lead sled this way, If you hold the butt of your high power rifle up agaist a tree an fire it, you will likely crack the stock. The lead sled is not quite that severe but, over time you get the same results.

#5 cowboybart

cowboybart
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:07 AM

That is why I gave up on scopes on all except my .22 rifle.
It was reaching the point that unless you paid more for the scope than you did for the rifle, the darn scope would just go out of alignment. Now? well if I am going to the range and want to shoot out past 300 meters, eyes not what they were at 20, I will buy a cheap scope, I have my bore sighter, and just shoot it till it ( the cheap scope) goes out of focus.

Key word there is Cheap scope!!  I have only had 2 scopes shoot loose internally, one was a  Colorado Redfield with lots of miles on it, the other a Bushnell 3200.  While I do enjoy a good scope (one that costs as much as the rifle), most of my scopes are in the $300-$400 range.  I have never had problems with Burris and Leupold, but I don't buy their low end line either.  If I come into a Chinese scope I am aware that it won't last and usually sell/trade it off or put it on a rifle that I am selling.   I do have 3-4 china scopes and when they fail I'll replace them with a Burris, Vortex, etc...

#6 Dr.Hess

Dr.Hess
  • Admin
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:55 PM

I'm kinda a cheap scope guy myself.  I have one of the Chinese clones that Az mentions starting this thread.  It is certainly an interesting scope and well worth whatever I gave for it.  What was it, $25?  Something like that.  I don't recall now after 2-3 years.  Optics are nice, seems to work OK for me on top of a AR.  Not taking a pounding there.  I also have been buying these airgun scopes from Sportsmans Guide.  Mil Dot, 3-9x, parallax adjustment down to 5 yards, etc.  I have one on my 7x57, 22 and an air rifle.  They work fine too.  The 7mm punches pretty good, but not like a 300 winmag or something.

I did break down and buy a really nice scope.  I got one of the Valdada first focal plane mil dots.  Was not cheap, that's for sure.  Haven't really had time to try it out.  It's the first scope I have bought that is worth more than any rifle I own to put it on.  Actually, besides maybe the Desert Eagle boxed set, I don't think I own any boom stick that cost that much.

#7 AzRednek

AzRednek
  • Members
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:46 PM

Like Doc, I'm certainly a cheapskate when it come to scopes. Of all the Leupold clones I got, only one went bad. I gave it somebody on the Cast Boolit board and he claimed to have fixed it. A nylon or plastic gear broke of its shaft he told me. I was shooting a 35 Whelen with hand loaded 250 gr slugs when it went bad. I don't know if the break was due to the heavy recoil or low quality.

So far I've had good luck with the Chinese counterfeit ACOG's. They are simply a red dot in a fancy looking package. They're going for about 70 bucks now with a phony fiber optic. A few years ago before the fake fiber optic I think they were around 20-30 bucks shipped from China.

I became some what of a pen-pal with a Chinese merchant and he was cutting me some good deals buying direct and not through Ebay. Don't know what happened to him. I got an email saying he couldn't export any more goods until he paid the govt some taxes he owed. My last attempt to contact him, his email bounced.

If I were a one gun type I'd probably invest in a fine scope. So far the Chinese cheapies have met my needs. Slim chance I'll ever do any hard core hunting again in the mountains. Most my rifles now are simply range toys or horse trading goods. I traded away a Remington 270 pump with a Chinese Leupold making certain the guy knew it wasn't a USA mfd Leupold. Apparently he has had good luck with it as he contacted me not to long ago wanting to know where he could get another. Might also mention the Chinese merchant claimed the glass used in Chinese scopes come from the Ukraine.

I've had a Chinese Bushnell on a 22 rifle for about ten years now. I assume it is also a fake as the box said "made in Japan" but it was mailed from Hong Kong. I haven't touched the adjustment since the initial sight-in. Scopes can be a PIA on 22's as the 100 yard zero can change with different types and brands of ammo. I use Kentucky windage rather than move the reticle with different types of ammo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users