Military Firearm Restoration Corner

My First Custom- Pics Inside

mr fixit

This was my first rifle to "build" as opposed to assemble like an AR or FAL. This was meant for my son from the start, to be his first rifle. It is a Yugo 24/47 with a Brownells short chambered barrel in 6.5x55 Swede. Laminate stock from Richards Microfit Stocks, Ebony fore end tip, custom grip cap, Swede bottom metal with '1909 Argentine' style floor plate and release from Tennessee Gun Parts, "Ruger" style bolt handle, Bold trigger, Leupold 2-piece scope base and rings, Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40 scope. It's finished in Norells Moly Resin in flat black on the barrel, action, and bottom metal, and flat grey on the bolt, and scope base and rings. The small parts of the bolt, shroud, extractor, and ejector are in alternating black and grey.

100_1992.jpg

100_2000.jpg

100_2003.jpg

100_1998.jpg

100_1993.jpg

I'd like to know what you folks think of it.

Mr Fixit

I think thats a pretty nice rifle there. I really like the metal finish, looks very good. The finish, is this a spray on type such as gun kote that comes in an can? The bolt handle looks pretty good too. Is this an aftermarket handle or did you turn your own? Nice job, damn i wish i was your kid! Do you adopt? :lol:

Brenden

The finish is similar to Duracoat, although I've never used that. It comes in a bottle, and is applied with a air brush, or spray gun., then baked in the oven for 1 hour to cure. It has both Teflon and Molybdenum dissolved in it that coats the metal.

The bolt handle was from Brownells. It's a "Ruger" style, at least that's what I call it. It was a cast part, and I had to do a bit of sanding to get it to look good and get the mold marks off. Then after I had it smooth and nice I sand blasted it with fine media to give the finish something to hold to.

As far as kids, :blink: I'm full up. This rifle is for my 12 year old. Of course my 9 year old son is already asking when he gets his. :rolleyes:

Guess I'll just have to keep building.

Mr Fixit

fantastic job! i have the same bolt handle on a 1912 steyr. i flattened the underside a bit with the intent of checkering it. haven't gotten that far... i also like your rifle rack!

heath

• 2 weeks later...