Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Range Report.

karlunity

.38 derringer

1911 RI 45 (GI)

PPH 380

1851 cap and ball.

The trigger pull on the Corba derringer is about 20 lb I kid you not. I was advised not to lighten it as that could weaken the hammer fall and as it is a self defence pistol..we dont want that. effective range about 5 feet to be sure of a hit. If you cannot carry anything else it is better than nothing.

1911 Rl 45 (GI)

Pleasure to shoot..At 25 yds I get one big hole and I am NOT by any means a pistolman. If wou want a 1911 and cannto spend lot the RI IS the way to go.

PPH..380 ( export PA 63) Has it since the 80's. Fires any type of ammo very accurate..I found the need to put a rubber slip on grip on..but aside from that.. very fine pistol..I carry it..and trust it.

1851 BP cap and ball 44 (Pietta)

I was always told to listen to your shots..good thing. I did not put enough power in the one chamber of the cylinder. it want "POP" so I stopped shooting at once..took the revolver down and found a ball stuck in the barrel..pushed it out ..reassembled the revolver and continued to shoot..If you do BP be careful as you load.

Fine day.

karl

Had I known of the trigger pull, I dont think I would have gotten it.

But there are times when even the 380 would be out of place and the derringer serves.

I am going to order some extra springs and a hammer and trigger and see if anything, reasonably, can be done.

karl

Ken 98k

I know in fact I had one failure to fire, it was a handload and the other 8 fired as did factory rounds, but the fact it happened makes me want to leave the derringer alone springwise. I pulled the bullet and poured out the powder but brought the case home and the primer did fire in a 38 revolver .

Now you figure that if you only have two shots and one is a failure to fire...NG.

Ken 98k

I know in fact I had one failure to fire, it was a handload and the other 8 fired as did factory rounds, but the fact it happened makes me want to leave the derringer alone springwise. I pulled the bullet and poured out the powder but brought the case home and the primer did fire in a 38 revolver .

Now you figure that if you only have two shots and one is a failure to fire...NG.

Take it along to the next gun show and trade it.

I had a 38 Special Derringer years ago. Just like Karl's, about 5 yards max. Mine was FIE brand and it was junk but I think I got it new in the box and out the door for about 40 bucks in the late 70's. I junked it after both barrels fired at the same time. Afterward the hinge was so loose I was afraid to shoot it again. How or why both barrels let loose simultaneously I can only guess. It had a rotating firing pin and could only strike one cartridge but somehow or another both barrels shot at the same time. Really hard to beat the convenience of carrying the Derringer.

My guess on the Derringer's failure to fire most likely cause is powder contamination from lead bullet lube. Warmer climates especially it is possible the lube may have melted into the powder charge. Years ago I foolishly destroyed some handloaded ammo with lead bullets. I placed the ammo on my dashboard. While I waited in a restaurant to meet up with a shooting bud. The heat from direct sunlight made a greasy mess out of the handloads. I haven't personally experienced it but I've heard of similar mishaps with lead ammo stored in auto trunks parked in sunlight. Your smokeless powder may also have gone bad from moisture. Another possibility is tumbling media packed tightly in the flash hole. If the primer ignited, the hammer strike and primer did their job. I'd look at the powder before tinkering with the gun. Probably not a good idea to put your life on the line from the same canister of powder. OOPS!! I didn't read the part about igniting the primer in a revolver till later I read through it to fast and concluded it fired in the Derringer.

I also have a PA-63 I bought about 10-15 years ago from J&G. I bought it originally as a gift for my daughter in law but at first it was a jam-o-matic. It was here from Swamp Rat I think that recommended trying another or tinkering with the mag. Sure enough I can't recall a single hiccup since getting another used factory mag. The only downside with the replacement mag. It might or might not hold the slide open on the last shot. Hard to believe what the PA-63's are fetching today, 300-350. I was out the door with mine for about a buck and a quarter from J&G. The Hungarian PA-63 is a classic example of behind the Iron Curtain, Cold War craftsmanship but I think of mine more as a perfect center console pistol. Best of all, no Tupperware but I'm not sure what the non-magnetic, unblued frame is made of. Looks like it might be aluminum.

1851 BP cap and ball 44 (Pietta)

I was always told to listen to your shots..good thing. I did not put enough power in the one chamber of the cylinder. it want "POP" so I stopped shooting at once..took the revolver down and found a ball stuck in the barrel..pushed it out ..reassembled the revolver and continued to shoot..If you do BP be careful as you load.

Fine day.

karl

Couple years ago I saw a blown, brass framed, Colt replica 36 cal revolver being sold for parts. Can't recall the brand name other than the gun show vendor claiming he got it from Dixie Gun Works. The seller rather than admit he screwed up, claimed it was the result of a chain fire. He passed the blame on the pre-lubed, over the top patches he used instead of smearing grease over the top of the cylinder. The cylinder was swollen with a nasty looking separation. It appeared the nipple blew out out. The seller was obviously reluctant to admit his error. My guess he had a similar problem as Karl's with some kind of obstruction in the barrel.

Years ago I embarrassed myself after my blind friend had a chain fire with his cap and ball revolver. Dropped the hammer and discharged three cylinders. I loaded it for him and foolishly forgot to smear Crisco over the top. We both heard two distinctive bangs with a very slight delay. No injury or damage other than my pride for the foolish mistake.

http://www.hungariae.com/FegPA63.htm

Hello Az..the above link goes to the PA63. So far as I know the are aluminum in the receiver.

Ken98k.. Good idea ..But I got it to work and if I load with 115 grin 9mm rounds in a 38 spc case, it is much better.

karl

I am not a black powder guy. I have actually never fired a black powder gun, even with metallic cartridges. I didn't know that more than 1 cylinder going off was that big of a thing. I read somewhere about one of those black powder revolver rifles, which I've seen, being dangerous because if the other cylinders go off, you shoot yourself in the supporting arm. Just didn't realize it happened that often.

My mother just gave me a book on BP. I need to read it.

I had a double fire from a 1860 Colt reproduction. Thought, nah, a spark can't get past that ball!

Seems the lead ball especially after it either shaves away or squishes down the lead would seal it up. Next time you shoot a BP revolver. Look at the pitting in the top layer of grease after the first shot. Nearly every cylinder will have either pits or unburned powder kernels in the grease.

Seems I read somewhere in an old western short story about an Indian shooting a cap and ball revolver with a shoulder stock blowing off a finger from his support hand during a chain fire. It was high school or junior college days I read the story. I can't recall if it was fiction or true. Most likely fiction from one of the old Dime Novels I used to use as book reports.

I read that colt came out with a bp rifle with cylinder but it failed as you had to put your left hand on the fore stock like any rifle and if you had a chain fire so long hand.

karl