Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Home Made Oven

dindvik

i had a web sight that had plans for building a cureing oven for moly teflon coating made out of like 8" pipe insolation but can't find it back thanks for the help.

This isn't precisley what you're looking for, but might this be helpful?

Steve Wagner's Baking Oven

Edit: Wait a minute...you're looking for that baking oven Fritz made out of a piece of pipe, a plow disk, and a fish cooker. If its not immediately apparent in the archives, you'll have to run a search to find it. It was a pretty informative post so I imagine its still here.

I built an oven for baking finishes several years ago following the Steve Wagner plans using the dimmer switch and it flopped.

What happened was the dimmer switch could not control the 110 volt element that I was using. So I went a whole another direction

What I did was to make a wooden box out of 1x8 pine about 8 inches wide and 42 inches long with a lid on hinges. (Think of a tool box shape)

I then had a local Heating business bend me a box shape piece of metal without ends that would fit into my wooden box but give me about ¾-1 inch of clearance on each side.

I also had them cut and bend pieces for the ends that I riveted to the larger piece to form an open top box, plus a piece for the lid.

Next I took apart a working 1000 watt 110 volt milk house heater saving the porcelain stand offs, element and controls.

I drilled holes about an inch above the bottom of the metal box filed them to shape and mounted the stand offs in a zig zag pattern that would accommodate the length of the element.

I then attached the element and ran the wiring to the controls I had mounted on the outside of the wooden box in a standard electrical receptacle.

I drilled holes and mounted the controls on a blank cover plate.

The way I was able to mount the smaller metal box into the larger wooden box was by cutting strips of wood about 3/4 x 3/4 to act has supports at the top only.

This hung the metal box inside the wooden box and gave me spacing for heat protection and in case i needed insulation.

I did the same to the wooden lid so it would set down into the metal part of the box.

Although I now had a working oven I found that I needed insulation.

The same heating business carried the White High heat Bat type insulation rated to 1000 degrees.

I cut and then placed a ¾ inch thick piece of insulation between the metal box and the wooden box.

I also put a layer for the lid.

It wasn’t that expensive to have the metal bent since I was riveting the ends myself and buying the metal from the same guy.

The milk house heater parts worked almost perfectly the controls are far better than using a dimmer switch.

I still have to be careful and keep the settings low because what I have is more like a Kiln but I can do barreled receivers and old shotguns now.

Its possible to buy a good used heater and have very thing you need for less money than buying a good Dimmer switch.

Even if you bought a new heater it would be cheaper than just one of wagners heating elements.

• 1 month later...
I built an oven for baking finishes several years ago following the Steve Wagner plans using the dimmer switch and it flopped.

What happened was the dimmer switch could not control the 110 volt element that I was using. So I went a whole another direction

What I did was to make a wooden box out of 1x8 pine about 8 inches wide and 42 inches long with a lid on hinges. (Think of a tool box shape)

I then had a local Heating business bend me a box shape piece of metal without ends that would fit into my wooden box but give me about ¾-1 inch of clearance on each side.

I also had them cut and bend pieces for the ends that I riveted to the larger piece to form an open top box, plus a piece for the lid.

Next I took apart a working 1000 watt 110 volt milk house heater saving the porcelain stand offs, element and controls.

I drilled holes about an inch above the bottom of the metal box filed them to shape and mounted the stand offs in a zig zag pattern that would accommodate the length of the element.

I then attached the element and ran the wiring to the controls I had mounted on the outside of the wooden box in a standard electrical receptacle.

I drilled holes and mounted the controls on a blank cover plate.

The way I was able to mount the smaller metal box into the larger wooden box was by cutting strips of wood about 3/4 x 3/4 to act has supports at the top only.

This hung the metal box inside the wooden box and gave me spacing for heat protection and in case i needed insulation.

I did the same to the wooden lid so it would set down into the metal part of the box.

Although I now had a working oven I found that I needed insulation.

The same heating business carried the White High heat Bat type insulation rated to 1000 degrees.

I cut and then placed a ¾ inch thick piece of insulation between the metal box and the wooden box.

I also put a layer for the lid.

It wasn’t that expensive to have the metal bent since I was riveting the ends myself and buying the metal from the same guy.

The milk house heater parts worked almost perfectly the controls are far better than using a dimmer switch.

I still have to be careful and keep the settings low because what I have is more like a Kiln but I can do barreled receivers and old shotguns now.

Its possible to buy a good used heater and have very thing you need for less money than buying a good Dimmer switch.

Even if you bought a new heater it would be cheaper than just one of wagners heating elements.

Sorry didn't mean to copy whole post. Puter illiterate.

Please explain what a "milk house heater is"? I can't find either it or the light bulb screw socket type that Wagner used in his oven.

Since there is an interest in building an oven using milk house heater internals and parts I decided to find the best deal I could on the model I used to build my oven.

How’s $21.99 plus S&H sound?

http://www2.northerntool.com/heaters-stove...item-177966.htm

I don’t have a working camera to show you pictures of how I built my oven but its really a simple design.

Brokegun, Thanx for the info on heater.

I'm new to this forum, but am guilty of skulking for a few months.

I'm planning on making a Warner/Brokegun hy-bred oven. I have a 3 ft section of 8" dia. galvanized duct with heat insulation. Your heater set up sounded better suited to purpose.

• 2 months later...

You don't have to get fancy. I built a wood box 2' x 2 x 30 and lined it with heavy foil and attach a cheap funnel type trouble lite with a 500 watt photo flood light bulb what work great.I had my smoker themoter stuck end the box to keep track of the temp. But I bet a heat lamp bulb would work too. Works just like a little girls easy bake oven thats were I got the idea from.

Arkyhunter