Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Getting Ready For Deer Season

Sailormilan2

Yesterday my youngest son and I went out to sight our rifles in for deer season. He has a single shot Contender based rifle in 30-30 that he had just mounted an older Bushnell 4x with BDC on and a Remington 700(left hand) in 30-06 that someone had bedded in a fiberglass stock on and bedded it with a Simmons Whitetail Classic 4-12 freshly mounted on it.

My rifle is a Mk X in 30-06 with a Butler Creek stock it has been bedded in, with a Simmons WTC 4-12 mounted on it.

Since we live in one of the "Condor Counties" here in CA, we have to use lead free ammo. So, we were shooting factory Remington 150 gr solid copper with Ballistic tip.

Since we couldn't find any lead free 30-30 ammo, all we were doing was getting the Contender's scope on paper. But the Remington 700 sure liked that lead free ammo. He had two two shot groups that were in the same hole. But getting there used up almost all our ammo. We got the ammo from WalMart last year, and this year none of the local stores have any. So, I am going to take a motorcycle ride in a couple of days and visit some of the outlying stores that are supposed to have it.

Since we used up all the ammo on his gun, my Mk X did not get used. But, it shouldn't be off from sighting in from last year. However, I have decided that the Butler Creek stock has too much flex in the forearm, so I am going to restock it. I hope to be done in a week, and that gives me 3 weeks to get it sighted in and tweaked.

My oldest son has a Parker Hale style Mauser, also in 30-06, and also in a BC stock. I have a spare stock that I have been saving for a nice custom rifle in a big bore caliber. It is a nicely figured dark English walnut stock, and is definately heavier than the Maple one I plan on putting on my rifle. So, I am iffy as to whether or not to put it on the rifle. I may yet build a big bore rifle.

I'm guessing that you or your family do not reload, and I'm sure that you realize that you could eliminate the ammo shortages if you did, but that is a choice only you can make. As you know by experience, most factory ammo can shoot well if you can find it in stock.

Your right, some synthetic stocks do not have good stability in the forearm, and that can be detrimental from the bench to the field. I really like the Hogue overmolded stocks because they feel so great and exude confidence under all conditions.

Spiris

Oh, I reload alright. This year has been a bit of a mess, and I havn't been able to get any lead free bullets order, if I could even find some. I've managed to locate some at MidSouth, so I may order some. But finiding powders has been a problem, though I have my normal 30-06 powdr(IMR4064), and a can of W760.

Plus, I really don't like shooting when it is 90+ here, and that is how it has been most of the summer. I may have to order some bullets just for his 30-30, as none of the stores here have any lead free. I'm looking at the Barnes 130 gr Tipped for better ballistics.

The lead free ammo is around $45 a box of 20 here, so getting a box of 50 Barnes bullets for $30 + S&H is the was to go.