Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Why Work?

FC

I'm retiring from the military this summer and I've been rejected for a lot of jobs. Hard to believe! The only job I've been sort of offered is tumor registry or something called NSQIP at Benning. Not informatics. I have a very good resume. I make too much? Too old? Military? Too far out from June? Even VA rejected me. Probably 20 jobs said no. It's discouraging. But then, why work? It would cost 20k to live away from home, & 15k taxes. Or, move. I've got a lot of stuff. Hard to consider, but maybe quit the work force?

It's a thought, but I fear getting lazy. Also, employers don't like people who aren't currently employed. There's a lot to do on our house and property. Lots of antiques and furniture to restore, but not good money in it. Really I'd like some good farm land, but not much of that near us. My boss may put in for me to contract till the new guy is working in September. She's worried about not having a CMIO, for good reason.

I dunno. Me, I could never "work" another day for the rest of my life and be busy every single day. Unfortunately, that ain't gonna happen.

Do the contractor thing. A lot of retired military do that. From what I hear, you show up the next day in the same job for more money plus your retirement. Meanwhile, other stuff will show up.

Friend of mine was a Lifer in the Army. Something-Master-Something-Sargent. One step down from the highest you could go as an enlisted man, with that next step blocked until someone died. He retired and last I heard, he's training the troopies on how to set up those giant air conditioned base tents. He was working as a mechanic locally and got a call out of the blue from the tent makers.

As a light col, you should have a nice retirement. You, like I, am not PC; but you have to consider the UCMJ .

The PCism of your work environment may not be conductive to shall we say a relaxed mind?

Your home is paid for. i assume and you have a nice side business. I tell ya pal, being retired is not bad.
You even have your own range!!! I am jealous!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

if you must work, consider FL ..lots of old people and some very well off and they all need care.
karl

Our house isn't paid for. Having three girls, now college age, and starting with nothing, pretty much, after college, were costly. I paid for all my education myself, and a separate place to live at Ft. Benning. It's nice to have some pocket money. Antiques/flea isn't a big money-making business, but it's something. So I'm not sitting pretty, but we are comfortable. All said though, I still want to be relevant in the work force, and a part of what is happening in the world of medicine or informatics. If no decent job is found though, there's ways you save money by not working: less taxes, maybe one fewer vehicle, gas, doing your own repairs, and cutting back on spending.

informatics.

Had to look that one up : )

Is that something you could do at home ? Need a good computer I would assume ...but working at a home office may be possible?

The three girls i college is going to hurt and no mistake..it is wat 700 a credit hour now?

Can the they take any classes on line? That would cut costs a bit?

karl

Basically I work with clinical information systems, project management, acquisition of medical devices, integration and practical use of systems, and liaison between IT and those delivering care. Most see the job as the electronic record, but that's only a part. Can't do the job without being there. I'm not the CIO, and not a programmer or system administrator. Functional administrator, yes. Confused yet?

CC: "Sore Shoulder."

HPI: 50YO WM c/o sore shoulder after "spending time with my buds." Describes pain as "sore, aching feeling" that comes and goes. This has happened several times in the past, usually after pay days and when Sportsman's Guide has a free shipping coupon. After more intense questioning, admits that the 8mm Mauser 98 with "hot Turk ammo" has been causing/aggravating the problem.

PMH: 0

PSH: LI Herniaraphy 1996 after "lifting a bunch of ammo."

Meds: EtOH PRN

Vitals: WNL

PE:

HEENT: NC/AT. CN 2-8 intact

Chest: CTA B.

C/V: RRR, 0 M

Abd: Soft, N/T, N/D.

Extremities: R shoulder anterior chest wall with large resolving ecchymosis, about 5x8CM. Dermal layer abrasion about 2x4CM over R clavicle.

A: 50 YO WM with Mauser Shoulder.

P: 1. Rx: Slip-on recoil pad prosthetic

2. Continue EtOH 3.x% 12oz. 1-4 PO q PM PRN Mauser Shoulder pain.

3. RTC PRN.

Dr.Hess