Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bolt Handle Welding Question

bobmoffett

I have a question for the forum bolt welding experts. Can a replacement bolt handle be silver soldered onto a mauser bolt rather than welding and still produce a quality job? Although I have OA welded a few handles in the past, I have never been totally thrilled with my results. I do not have a TIG welder and likely do not have the ability to use one anyway. My father asked why not silver solder a handle. Although the machining to get the proper angle and perfect mating surface fit might be difficult, it seems like it should be possible. I believe Remington 700 handles are siliver soldered, so I can't imagine the joint strength would be inadequate. After further reflection on the subject the only reason I could see would be the handle would show the silver joint if it was blued.

I am looking for more input on the subject. Thanks

they are myself, Z1R and Don Markey

And all three have examples of their work pictured on the forum, all do some fine work. Z1r did two bolt handles for me, and I was extremely satisfied with the results. I couldn't have done half as well as he did, and the other two gentlemen are on the same level, as far as I can tell from the pictures. I'd recommend hiring out the job if you really want a top-notch bolt handle.

Yes, I believe that is another term for it. I am not talking about soft solder that can be applied with a propane torch. Silver solder/braze normally requires OA.

I've wondered the same thing myself. Why not take your Dads advice and try it?

Kenny

Rod

You three do very nice work but you aint the only ones.