Military Firearm Restoration Corner

98-Izing Small Ring Bolt Sleeve

ken98k

Yeah, basically get a big washer. Cut in half, grind out to fit onto shroud, weld into place. Make it look purty.

Those are okay if you like trigger mounted safeties, I'm installing a Wisner.

Also I think the after market triggers for small ring Mausers omit the forward part of the trigger that stops it from being pulled until the bolt is closed.

This safety feature was not needed on 98's due to firing pin safety shoulders.

Kenny, I was warned by Jim Wisner to round the corners off on the slitting saw when cutting a 96 shroud. He said in the long run the sharp corners will lead to cracks since they are smaller that 98's and have less metal to support it. Also said to solder a half moon plug in the old safety hole. I don't know if this info was in the instruction so I wanted to give you a heads up.

Don

Kenny, I was warned by Jim Wisner to round the corners off on the slitting saw when cutting a 96 shroud. He said in the long run the sharp corners will lead to cracks since they are smaller that 98's and have less metal to support it. Also said to solder a half moon plug in the old safety hole. I don't know if this info was in the instruction so I wanted to give you a heads up.

Don

Round off the corners off the saw, or the cut?

It seems to me, if you round off the saw it will bind.

Kenny

Quote from Jim.

"RE. the 1896, the only long term item I have found different, is the slot for the top of the lever.

It really helps if you do not have sharp square corners, as this will weaken and crack after a number of years. It has a thinner cross section vs the M98 as the profile of the sleeve is lower vs the top of the firing pin.

What I do is slightly radius or bevel the top corner of the saw with a diamond file, to do away with a square corner that sets up a stress riser.

The top is where the issue is as the bottom has a much thicker cross section and no stress on it as the lever is moved during use.

The other main thing is that you have to silver solder in a half moon plug, in the front top of the old safety hole.

This does two things, it creates a section for the spring to rest against, and sets up a section so the plunger will not rotate.

I simply bead blast to clean, flux and solder the plug in place

Otherwise it is the pretty much the same as the M98."