Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Arisaka Sporter

Horsefly

The reason I gave the heads-up was because it's good sporter material.Colllectable Arisaka's start at twice what a nice Mauser will bring.I'd like to someday find an affordable 38 action.I threw away a 7.7 years ago before ebay or computers I guess,just because it didn't have a stock.Jerry

I had the chance to buy a hacked stock/barrel type 99 for 10 dollars, but turned it down because it was "bubba", I couldve bought it and made it into a good deer rifle. I was to purist and I learned my lesson(I wont buy sportered japs, but if I can buy a 10 dollar sporter, I will jump on it).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Top shelf website Rice !!!! You've done some sure enough nice work on your rifles too.Maybe someday when I catch up on some projects,I'll concentrate on getting a 38 to sporterize.I sota like to have a nice,original rifle,and then one sportered,just for comparison.Jerry

Top shelf website Rice !!!! You've done some sure enough nice work on your rifles too.Maybe someday when I catch up on some projects,I'll concentrate on getting a 38 to sporterize.I sota like to have a nice,original rifle,and then one sportered,just for comparison.Jerry

Sported 38 rifles are every where, if you need help, I can help you in finding a good sported one and a good original one.

I traded the first Japanese rifle, which was a T99 for a Type I because the man had 6.5 ammo. Got rid of it some where, but from the third on on I still have. It was a choppedup T44 and much later I put a commercial 257 R barrel in it and made a mannlicher sporter. Just ordered a mannlicher stock for a Swed 94 action from Great American Stock Co. Said it would ship in a couple of days. They give good service. riceone

I traded the first Japanese rifle, which was a T99 for a Type I because the man had 6.5 ammo. Got rid of it some where, but from the third on on I still have. It was a choppedup T44 and much later I put a commercial 257 R barrel in it and made a mannlicher sporter. Just ordered a mannlicher stock for a Swed 94 action from Great American Stock Co. Said it would ship in a couple of days. They give good service. riceone

When did you quit sporting them and start collecting them?

I have not quit. Last one I did was the T2 Sporter and going to be hard to top that one. But I am working on a 94 Sweed action with a new Sweed barrel to make Mannlicher with 19" barrel and butter knife handle. I'll post pictures. I've always had some Japanese rifles, just got serious in the late 90's. Up to then what I had was just hodge podge stufff and I sold a lot of that to finance what I have now. riceone.

Do you still sport unmolested rifles or do you just work on already hacked ones? I toyed with the idea of tinkering around with a hacked arisaka, but I dont want to pay alot of money for one.

It will be hard to top that one, its absolutely gorgeous.

Many of the so-called Last Ditch Jap rifles seem to have their own character, personality and various stages of decline. Just the hand tooling alone done on the safety buttons seems different on each one. I'd be tempted to leave them as is and sport a Mauser instead.

The good thing about last ditches is that they are for the most part bubba proof. You would have to be really determined to get it sported, because of the way the barrel band is put on. I would rather sport a mauser too(plan on sporting an M48 if I ever find one).

I couldnt sport an arisaka, too much history to them, and they are almost all bringbacks.

I don't think I have ever sportered a complete rifle, allways something amiss with them. Now I just use parts. If you think taking the front sight off a Japanese rifle is hard, try taking the riveted on bayonet band off one. Larger pin and lots tighter. riceone.

QUOTE (J.B @ Apr 20 2008, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
J

Have you ever seen anything super rare that had been bubbaed?

Not an Arisaka, I didn't see it but was told at a Phoenix gunshow somebody in Tucson has a so-called last ditch Mauser with the synthetic stock that was sported by his father. Supposedly the stock was sanded down and the handguard tossed.

Not an Arisaka, I didn't see it but was told at a Phoenix gunshow somebody in Tucson has a so-called last ditch Mauser with the synthetic stock that was sported by his father. Supposedly the stock was sanded down and the handguard tossed.

I have seen an Iraqi marked K98k that was hacked and had been rechambered, the guy who did it has ruined alot of guns, he also tacticooled a north korean sks. I see him at gun shows every now and then and I cringe when I see him looking at arisakas and other WWII rifles.