Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Arisaka Type 99 Purchase

rwims

I purchsed a Arisaka type 99 today for $40.00. The rifle is not complete. It is missing the firing pin, firing pin spring, safety, and rear sight. The mum is complete (not ground off). The person I purchased this from got it from his Grandfather who served in WWII. I'm thinking this may be a war trophy. I'm thinking of replacing the missing parts and keeping it in original conditional. The bore is dark but I haven't put a brush in it yet. the exterior is in very good condition. I don't want to spend more than the gun would be worth. My question is, how much would be a reasonable amount to spend in addition to the purchase price. Does anyone know a good source for parts in addtion to "GPC".

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, RWims

I purchsed a Arisaka type 99 today for $40.00. The rifle is not complete. It is missing the firing pin, firing pin spring, safety, and rear sight. The mum is complete (not ground off). The person I purchased this from got it from his Grandfather who served in WWII. I'm thinking this may be a war trophy. I'm thinking of replacing the missing parts and keeping it in original conditional. The bore is dark but I haven't put a brush in it yet. the exterior is in very good condition. I don't want to spend more than the gun would be worth. My question is, how much would be a reasonable amount to spend in addition to the purchase price. Does anyone know a good source for parts in addtion to "GPC".

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, RWims

Just from my causal observation as I check Gunbroker for other parts, I'd say that you could put $100

into it and still be within the market value, especially with an intact mum.

Tinker

Thanks Tinker,

that is about what I have come up with too. I disassembled it today and cleaned it. Very suprised at the overall condition. The rifle obviously has not been shot since it saw service. While looking for information on it I found a post with someone discribing the same missing parts. This must have been what had to be removed for them to bring it home.

Thanks Tinker,

that is about what I have come up with too. I disassembled it today and cleaned it. Very suprised at the overall condition. The rifle obviously has not been shot since it saw service. While looking for information on it I found a post with someone discribing the same missing parts. This must have been what had to be removed for them to bring it home.

I have been told that some returning GI's were ordered by the Navy to remove the bolt and keep the items separated on the voyage home. Unfortunately it appears the parts were not always reunited. The crests were also supposed to be ground off by orders of MacArthur but it doesn't appear to have been vigorously enforced. Been a few years since I looked but firing pins for Jap rifles were getting scarce and pricey. I finally located one back in the days when parts like that could be had on Ebay. If I remember right I paid about 25-30 bux for it. Since I have left the bolts open on my Jap rifles rather than dry fire them and risk breaking another firing pin. I've looked but haven't had any luck finding snap caps for the 7.7 or 6.5.