Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Arisaka Questions

bja105

I spent too much on a sporterized type 38, with a 308 Win barrel. The receiver has lots of holes, half of them stripped, most of them off center. The stock is ugly and cracked. It closes on a no go gage.

I found a new gun shop, right under my nose in New Kensington! They have lots of milsurps, including a crate of Arisaka barreled receivers, for $9!!!!!

1. How can I tell a type 38 receiver from a Type 99 receiver?

2. Are any parts interchangeable between the 38 and 99? Same barrel thread?

This rifle is hardly worth putting more money into, but I can spring for 9 bucks! I tried to sell the piece of junk for $40 at a gun show, and got a lot of laughs, but no offers. My wife likes how short the rifle is. If I can get it shooting, it would be a good rifle for one of my kids.

Thanks.

I spent too much on a sporterized type 38, with a 308 Win barrel. The receiver has lots of holes, half of them stripped, most of them off center. The stock is ugly and cracked. It closes on a no go gage.

I found a new gun shop, right under my nose in New Kensington! They have lots of milsurps, including a crate of Arisaka barreled receivers, for $9!!!!!

1. How can I tell a type 38 receiver from a Type 99 receiver?

2. Are any parts interchangeable between the 38 and 99? Same barrel thread?

This rifle is hardly worth putting more money into, but I can spring for 9 bucks! I tried to sell the piece of junk for $40 at a gun show, and got a lot of laughs, but no offers. My wife likes how short the rifle is. If I can get it shooting, it would be a good rifle for one of my kids.

Thanks.

I do'nt know a whole lot about them but I do know the bolts will not interchange.I like the Arisakas,If I knew where the crate of them were for $9 I would buy them all.