Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Tupperware Guns

AzRednek

Swore I'd never own a plastic pistol but recently got a FN-P 9MM in a horse trade. So far, so good. Its reliable, reasonably accurate but for some reason I just don't feel confident with it. I also picked up a HiPoint 45ACP for only $50.00 at a yard sale. Didn't really want it but for 50 bux I thought it might make some good horse trading goods. I only put two mags through the HiPoint to test its reliability. It shot everything without a hick-up, the second mag was rapid fired. I really felt uncomfortable though having the steel slide cycle on a plastic frame in front of my face. I felt like the plastic might give way and Dr's will have to remove the slide from my eye socket.

Another pet peeve of mine with the new plastic pistols, is the lack of a manual safety on many models. I wouldn't but many that are carrying the new plastic fantastics concealed have a live round in the chamber and the only thing preventing an accidental discharge is the hinged trigger.

Being 61 years old with my cancer in remission I shouldn't be concerned about the longevity but I'm curious if the new so-called polymer will still be shootable 50 or 100 years from now. Glocks have been around close to 40 years I believe but I wonder how many years before the plastic frame deteriorates and they become unsafe to shoot. I have two rifles both over 100 years old that still shoot as well as brand new. I also have a 75 year old S&W revolver that is still totally reliable but the accuracy has declined due to a worn bore.

What do you guys think of the new guns with plastic frames? Do you think I'm being a stubborn ol'fogie stuck in the 20th Century? Haven't seen one yet but I've heard on the net there are AR-15's being built with plastic lowers. I wonder if anybody will attempt to build a 1911 with a plastic frame.

I love steel and wood, but I have bought several plastic stocked rifles in the last couple years, and recently bought a pocket pistol which is partially plastic. The rifles I bought because I knew I wanted to paint them for predator rifles; the pistol I just wanted to be light for conceal carry. There is a place for such firearms, but they will never have my sentimental side as do my walnut and blued guns.

• 4 months later...

Ha hahahahaha tupperware guns got me. I have a smith and wesson M&P9. I used to carry a glock .357 sig but the M&P has swooned me. It shoots imho as well as an H&K .40 I once shot and still hold as the pinacle of pistol comfort, accuracy and coolness. I love my old sandal wood grip'd Dan wesson .357 mag too. In a life or death situation the first clip from the M&P made me realise this is the gun i would grab. The high points are made from fisher price like plastic, but with a little love to the loading ramp and only shooting round nose fmj's they usually fire... Vs my taurus pt945 i can shoot for days, 17 rds per clip vs 8 rds per clip.... there isnt always just one or three guys, and to me its like beer, better to have left overs than needing to ride to the store just when shes getting hot. another thing if you reload the m&p just drops the spent shells at your feet vs flinging them for 2 to 5 yds so when your done you just reach down. just my opinion.

• 1 month later...

Guys, I'm probably going to get beat up for this, but I have more than one Hi-Point in my possession and have never had a single problem, this being said after a couple of thousand rounds. Also, I have convinced others to purchase them as well and none of these people have ever had a complaint. I would stake my life on the Hi-Points and in fact do so. Having said that, the original steel frame models were only slightly better than a boat anchor. Swamp_thing