Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Scope Base For M-93 Does Not Fit

will916691

i got a B-Square scope base for my 1893 mauser the holes do not line up not sure what it was d & t for maybe some one could tell me holes measure center to center last hole to frist hole 4.950 there is four holes front two holes center to center 0.500 apart back holes are 0.500 apart also from hole 2 to hole 3 3.900 could anyone tell me what base mite fit

thanks

Will

i got a B-Square scope base for my 1893 mauser the holes do not line up not sure what it was d & t for maybe some one could tell me holes measure center to center last hole to frist hole 4.950 there is four holes front two holes center to center 0.500 apart back holes are 0.500 apart also from hole 2 to hole 3 3.900 could anyone tell me what base mite fit

thanks

Will

Will, my scope mount only has three holes-- two in front and one in back. If I understand you correctly, your rifle has four holes drilled and tapped, two in the front ring and two in the rear. That sounds to me like a set-up for a two-piece base rather than my one-piece.

Perhaps someone with experience with two piece bases can chime in here.

thanks

Will

the two front holes sold be spaced at .860 c-c. I'd be interested to know where those front holes were actualy drilled in the front ring. What distance fowrad from the rear of the front ring is the rear hole drilled?

I'm checking Swedes which should be same as your 93.

I gotta agree with the old fart, it sounds like your rifle was D&Ted for two piece mounts. However I also agree with z1r on the spacing of the holes on the receiver. We won't quibble of accuracy of calipers or eyesight, but I measure about .850" on the receiver, and that is for both Weaver and Leupold type mounts.

The back holes on Weaver measure .500". The Leupold would be closer. I didn't bother to measure, I feel sure that's not what you have.

My guess is that you have the two piece mount/ring combo mounts. The base and ring is one piece. The ones that I have seen generally have same hole spacing front and back, as I remember. But those type mounts generally require you grind down the charger hump. Has the hump been ground down?

The combo mounts are not my favorite, especially for Mausers. They are the pits to work with and not same quality.

the hump has been ground a little but not much front holes from end of front ring to center of frist front hole is 0.425 im useing a digital caliper it says acccuracy 0.001

I am thinking of driling new hole in the base so it wil fit what do you guys think?

thanks

Wil

Will, Look at this link. http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item...?sku=0018022111

It is the kwik-site see thru ring/mounts. It is what I suspect your rifle was drilled for. I am not fond of them at all. Too many problems, been there done that.

Yes, you could drill the B-Square rail, but getting the holes accurately spaced and straight in the base is difficult at best. You could do it, but it might not be successful. If you are off any, you will shoot right or left and not be able to adjust the windage. Millet makes a windage adjustable ring, but the whole process is almost like rebuilding a car, by the time you drill the base, install the Milletts, etc, etc, etc.

I'm getting nervous about recommending anything until we confirm some things. Your rifle is a 93 Spanish Mauser? So far you have only said 93, I want to confirm what it is. Measure the receiver. If a 93 Spanish Mauser, it should measure 1.3 inches diameter, and should look a whole lot like a Swedish Mauser.

Now is where I get nervous in recommending. Get your money back on the B-Square. The vendor will usually do it if you tell him it is not applicable. He may charge a restocking fee.

If that were my rifle, and was trying to get it shootable, I would order the Weaver #55 base for the rear and the Weaver #46 base for the front. These bases are only about $3, so go ahead and order the #45 base while you are at it. It's the one that fits the large Mauser like a 98. The difference between the 45 and 55 is height.

Select the rear base which works best, the 45 or 55 (height difference) with those holes .500" apart. Select a hole on the front (receiver) that will work best with the #46 base. Yes, the hole spacing on the base is .850" as compared to the .500" on the receiver and only one hole will work, but we'll get to that. Put everything together with the one screw in the front, and see how the alignment and height works. Once you are satisfied, break it back down and reassemble. Only this time, use epoxy on the front mount, the one with only one screw. Make sure and clean both surfaces good with alcohol or PVC cleaner to remove grease or oil. Then go sight it in and go hunting. The epoxy and one screw will very adequately hold the scope. If you ever do decide to remove the front base, a whack with a plastic mallet will pop the epoxy loose, or a little heat, like a bernson burner, will make the epoxy release.

I know the epoxy will work because I have a rifle that I broke a tap on the front hole, and can't get it out. I glued it down for a couple of years and used a high power scope. Doing more brush hunting, I decided to hunt iron sights and took it off, with a plastic mallet. I just last month remounted it and will hunt brush with a low power scope. Most of my hunting is brush but I like a scope to pull in a little extra light, and cross hairs work better with my old tired eyes. I have other scoped rifles if I want to hunt the powerline right of way or fields.

My wife wants me to work on taxes now, so I'll sign off this for a while.

the rifle is 1893 made in 1896 Loewe Berlin it saysMauser Espanol Modelo 1893 on left side so yes it is a Spanish from what i have been reading it is one off the better ones? any input?

on the B-Square base i paid under $5 for it from midway so after shipping it back it is not worth it im just going to keep it

thanks Will

Will, yes, you've got one of the better ones. Loewe in Berlin means German metalurgy and craftsmanship, much better than Spanish metal and craftsmanship. I have an Argentine made by Loewe. That being said, I may have to back up on some of what I said about it being similar to the Swede. Trigger and bolt is totally different. However, I used the same Weaver bases on my Loewe as what I use on my Swedes. That part will be the same.

What are your thoughts on my suggestions; the epoxy etc? Does it look feasible as you look at it now?

Yes, at that price keep the B-Square. Someday you'll come up with a rifle to use it on.

Thor, looks like i could use you idea should work but i would like to use two screws and i dont like the two piece base the link you gave me for the kwik base NO WAY they look like they are off of one of my rimfires I would not use them I did drill the base i had it just mite work if not owell i will be out $5 lol thanks for all your help

Will

Will, no way was I recommending the kwik-site. They are far from satisfactory. I just wanted you to see what was a possible explanation for the holes the way they are.

You won't know about the B-Square until you try. $5 is not that great of a loss. Like you say, it would cost more to send it back than it's worth. If it does mount but alignment is off enough to prohibit windage adjustment within limits of the scope, look at the Millet windage adjustable rings. I have an Arisaka that I took the scope as far as I could and still could not sight in. I put the Millet's on, centered the scope crosshairs and set windage with the Millet, and then fine tuned the cross hairs with scope adjustment.

Keep the epoxy procedure in mind. I use it on ALL my scope mounts anymore, even when I have both screws. Too often, people have scope problems because of loose screws. The epoxy gives you the extra edge of the scope not moving in case screws loosen. I also use loktite or fingernail polish on the screws. If I miss a deer, it's going to be because of some other problem, not scope.

Will,

Send me your new base and I will drill & couterbore it for you. It wil be on center.

Will,

Now there's a deal you can't refuse.

z1r, sounds like you have the equipment to make it right.

thanks z1r

but I have drilled it and mounted it looks like it should work but wont know tell i load some 7x57 and take it out few more weeks off

Well, after sleeping on it, I figured out how to do it in a drill press, guaranteed to work. I thought it would take a jig in a mill machine to set up. Take longer to explain than to do it, but if you have a drill press with vise mounted, it's a piece of cake. I just needed a night of sleep.

Will, if you can't get the windage dialed in, look at the Millet Rings.